Gerd symptoms - hoarse voice

I have had GERD all my life (70+) and have been taking GERD medicines a long time.  I have had a chronic cough that has interfered with my choir singing so my dr had prescribed asthma meds for years.  

A few years ago I was in the hospital for a Pulmonary Embolism and have had a hoarse voice ever since then. I went to a lung Dr and he said I Did NOT have asthma – eventually it was pointed to the Gerd that I have always had.

Recently I was taking Pantoprazole – 40mg  twice a day and then took a test that monitored to see if any acid was coming up.  They had me stay on the Meds during the 2 day test.  My stomach was so neutral that no acid came up even though I was burping fluids.

If I am still burping, but no ACID is coming up – does that mean that my vocal cords are not being irritated by acid?  I still have a very hoarse voice.  Will ANY fluids that I burp up irritate my vocal chords?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest

You are reading content posted in the GERD (Acid Reflux) Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem