GERD (Acid Reflux) Forum

Lump in Throat

On Saturday, 1/23 I was eating Chinese food and got choked on a small piece of chicken.  While trying to clear my throat food came back up into my throat.  For the last 4 days I have felt like I have a "lump in my throat" accompanied by minor upper chest pain.  Whenever I swallow it is really an annoying feeling, but it is there all the time.  I have had this "lump in the throat" one time before and it lasted a few days, however this time I am concerned due to the accompanying chest discomfort. I have not eaten much since Saturday night because I keep feeling like the food gets stuck.  My husband says that there is nothing in my throat and it just feels like there is.  I breath fine, talk fine, and sing fine - just have this very very annoying feeling of having a lump in my throat.  I have a difficult time taking my daily medicine as all of it seems to get stuck.  I am on my second day of taking Prilosec to try to help with any excess stomach acids that may try to come back at me.  Without food I feel like all I am doing is increasing the concentration of stomach acids though.  I also seem to be belching a lot.  How long can I reasonably expect this to last and is there anything I can do to help make this feel better?  How can I tell if there is really something in my throat or if this is just a feeling?  In my case, did this come about by the stomach acids burning the esophagus or did it cause an esophageal spasm?  Just wondering what I am really feeling as it is distressing.  Any knowledge on the subject would be greatly appreciated.  I stress less if I understand what is happening.
It could be due to injury to the inner lining of esophagus that is causing pain.
The lump in the throat feeling is one of the symptoms of acid reflux though no lump is actually found in the throat.
since you have difficult in swallowing, I would suggest that you undergo upper GI endoscopy to rule out any organic cause of difficulty in swallowing.
Just to follow up - went to doctor who ordered an x-ray and a barium swallow.  X-ray was normal - barium swallow showed "esophagitis" (inflammation of the esophagus) - everything else was normal (no strictures, ulcers, hiatal hernia, etc..)  Doctor told me to stop taking all anti-inflammatory medicines (Aleve, Ibuprofin, etc..) and take one Prilosec a day to heal the esophagus.  Doctor had me on the OTC anti-inflammatory meds for a knee problem.  
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem