Aa
A
A
A
Close
GERD (Acid Reflux) Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Nausea

I'm a 26 year old male living in the Middle East. I'v been in this region for a year now. I used to live in the UK for over 16 years . Anyway, 8 months ago, I had heart burn for like a month and a half everyday. I did an upper endoscope and they said I have a Acid reflux disease. They gave me some medicine and I continues this medicine for about 2-3 weeks and then felt fine. I was back as normal.

5 months ago, I also did a CT scan for the brain and the results came out fine.

2 months ago, I started to feel nausea. It has no pattern really. Most of the time it would come after I wake up. I went to see a doctor and he gave me Nexium. I took that medicine for 2 weeks but noting changed. I went to see the doctor again a few weeks ago and he took a stools test and a blood test and both came out normal. He then told me to take Omeprazole or Omeprex. After I started to take this medicine, my Nausea disapeared during the mornings but it would come during the day and most of the time go away during the night.  My Nausea is generaly mild but within those last 2 months, it came twice or 3 times severe but I never threw up until now.

My doctor thinks that I might have the following;

1) GERD
2) Stress disorder
3) IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome)

My symptoms so far have only been;

1) Nausea
2) Sometimes Dirrhea (once every week)
3) Twice or three times only dizziness.

I do not have any other symptoms.

My question is that if I had GERD, should I not feel heartburn like I did 8 months ago? Because I do not feel heart burn at all and I ONLY feel Nausea nearly everyday for the past 2 months.

Any help or suggestions? Thanks.
5 Responses
Hi Ghost,
Though heartburn is the commonest symptom of GERD, it is not necessary that all patients with GERD should have this symptom. Patients can have GERD without heartburn also.

In case of still having doubt regarding the diagnosis of GERD, you can have 24 hours pH monitoring done. It is the confirmatory test for GERD.

Regarding the treatment of GERD, the following should be done -

A) PPI like nexium/omeprazole twice a day immediately before meals

B) Life style modifications -
1. Head elevation while sleeping
2. Small frequent meals
3. Going to bed 2- 3 hours after food
4. Avoiding bed time snacks
5. Avoiding smoking and alcohol
6. Avoiding tight fitting clothes
7. Avoiding cola, citrus drinks, carbonated drinks, tea, coffee, spicy food
8. Weight reduction

================================================================
The information provided is for patients’ education only and is not a medical advice. Always consult your personal physician for complete evaluation of your health problem.
- Ratnakar Kini M.D.

Thank you for your help. I do though have one more question, should I be worried about Barrets Esophagus? I read that you can have it if the Acid reflux was "severe" or "Chronic". Do my symptoms seem chronic? Or at least, how would you define chronic i.e. how long should the period of time be?

Thanks again.
I too have had nausea for over two months.  The heartburn just started two weeks ago.  I'm sorry you are not feeling well, and I happy to not be alone in this nausea thing... it totally sucks!  I drink ginger tea to help, and it really works!
Hi ahighervibration,

Thanks for your post. Have you been to a doctor? and if so, what did he/she say? Thanks for the tip, i'll try it out.

Keep intouch.
Hi Ghost7,
Patients with GERD for more than 10 years have chances of developing Barrett's esophagus. About 10% of patients with GERD who undergo endoscopy are diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus.

================================================================
The information provided is for patients’ education only and is not a medical advice. Always consult your personal physician for complete evaluation of your health problem.

- Ratnakar Kini M.D.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem