GERD (Acid Reflux) Community

ONLY NATURAL METHODS PLEASE

I started realizing I had trouble swallowing about a month ago. I'm 24 years old, Female. I didn't think much of it and just chalked it up to be anxiety or stress since a lot has been going on. It didn't alarm me until it kept getting worse and worse. This was about a month in. I finally made an appointment with an ENT. He scoped my throat and said it is a little inflamed behind my vocal cords. He did what all doctors do, and write a prescription for Zegerid once a day. I have never been one to use prescription drugs because I am a firm believer that they only COVER symptoms and do not work to cure the underlying problem. I may add that I eat really unhealthy. I'm not overweight at all. But, I do eat VERY FAST and never really chew my food properly (also thought that could of been a reason why my food was getting caught in the middle of my throat.)

I have started eating slower, chewing thoroughly and also started doing a regime that I hope helps the esophagitis symptoms. I take one teaspoon of apple cider in a small cup of water three time a day, take 2 digestive enzyme capsules after each meal, and take 1 (3 billion) probiotic supplement everyday. It has been two days, and I don't really see much of a difference. I have never FELT the heartburn really, so I don't know how to tell if I am refluxing or improving at all. I don't know if I have "Silent Reflux" or what.

Has anybody suffered from an inflamed throat due to reflux? What did you do to improve it and how long did it take? I feel so alone and so depressed. I feel like every board I look at, nobody has the answers I'm looking for. Also, I don't feel like I can ask my doctors questions because they think I should be on the medication (obviously.) They would never tell you to do anything alternative because that would never benefit the pharmaceutical companies. I am a firm believer that we need to SOLVE the underlying issue here and not cover symptoms forever.
My boyfriend got relief by changing from regular coffee to the low-acid Folgers coffee called Simply Smooth AND by starting Metamucil capsules every day.  He takes 5 with a glass of water, and it calms everything down from him.  I believe it is because it forms a gel in your stomach and controls acid splash that way.  Try it - it's actually good for you.  They have proven it helps lower cholesterol too.  

Also I would not drink soft drinks.  The acid and carbonation will cause problems.  Dairy can also be a major problem for people.  

Of course, don't eat too close to bedtime and remain upright after meals til food settles.  
Thank you! So, he also had trouble swallowing with reflux? How long did it take to get relief from his inflamed throat?
You're absolutely right about prescription drugs. I wish I knew that at your age.

I've also had reflux the past couple of years, along with random chest pains, violent coughing, noodle stuck in throat feeling, shortness of breath, and some other symptoms including occasional difficulty swallowing. Shortness of breath came suddenly about 7 months ago and really scared me. So after reading others' stories and noticing that corticosteroids helped people temporarily breathe, I connected the dots and cut gluten from my diet same day. Well, acid reflux disappeared next morning, coughing after 3 days, and most of other things with time.

I've switched to low carb / high fat diet and most things are top notch now, liver enzymes are really low, not a gram of fat on my body, I feel excelent, but my cholesterol rocketed to 383. I've read stories from about 100 people who switched to paleo/Atkins/LCHF diet and this exact effect (low triglycerides, high cholesterol) is very common first year after switching, so I'm not worried.

In short: try quitting gluten and see that resolves your issues.
      I understand completely your reluctance to take meds!  I believe in natural remedies myself.  Nux
Vomica, a health food supplement can even cure ulcers!
    4 Tablespoons of Aloe Vera juice in a glass of water first thing in the morning is also a good remedy for heartburn/GERD.    I take the apple cider vinegar also, but it doesn't stop my pain completely.  I had been taking the ACV before my surgery - but didn't try Aloe or Nux Vomica until now that it seems my surgery has failed.  Another natural remedy is DGL (licorice root) from the health food store.  Chew two 400 mg tablets three times a day 20 minutes before meals.

I just got a letter from my surgeon that I need to go back for a Bravo and an endoscopy - had a fundoplication two years ago and it needs to be checked.   Fundoplication is surgery on the esophagus at the mouth of the stomach.   That's how desperate I was - I had surgery to stop the pain.
     Unfortunately, PPIs can cause weak bones.  Best to avoid:  carbonated drinks, alcohol, coffee, nonherbal tea, cow's milk,  citrus, chocolate, peppermint and spicy foods.
       All I can say is that if the home remedies don't work, you might have to try Dexilant, Rx from doctor.
Thanks for responding, guys. Well, I am against medication because I was basically brought up that way. My father suffered from heart disease 20 years ago, and obviously still has it today. Anyway, he does not use ANY medication. Only natural supplements and his heart was very strong and in good condition for 20 years. He is having a little downs lately, but for a man who lived on only natural supplements for 20+ years with a serious heart condition, made me really start thinking about natural remedies and such also.

So, a light bulb kind of went off last night. I was lactose intolerant since I was about 12 years old. I couldn't even sprinkle cheese on top of my pasta without feeling completely sick. Couldn't even drink a glass of milk without throwing up. I noticed today that after I ate yogurt, I had heartburn. So, I decided to cut out dairy completely today and see how that affects my healing.

I am also taking probiotics and digestive enzymes. NT77, I have a question, how long did it take for you to feel better? My main issue that is the most debilitating is the food feeling caught in my throat. I don't even want to eat solid foods because I feel like I have a "lazy swallow" due to the inflammation. I just wonder how long it will take for that symptom to go away. I have heard from other message boards that doctors said, "We heal from the bottom up" So, I don't know.

Also, I realized that I burp A LOT. I actually counted one day and think it was like 25 times that I burped that day. Does anyone else have that issue with reflux?
NT77, wow duh sorry I just went back and re-read your post slower this time) and you answered my question! Well, hopefully I see some results with the cutting out dairy.....Ate about an hour ago, and burpring a bit but no heartburn...... so, we will see
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem