GERD (Acid Reflux) Community

Prilosec blocked Vit D & Calcium absorption - have 6 stress fractures. HELP!!!

Had several bilateral feet stress fractures in past 10 months. 4 fx -L foot. 2 in R foot. MISERABLE!! Bone density test revealed osteopenia (which is changed form normal 4 yrs ago) and Vit D deficiency (level 29) and hyperparathyroidism (hi 80's). Now taking 50,000 iu Vit D and it helped the terrible foot pain slighty. BUT, I decided to stop Prosolec just in case it was a problem. Within 4 days my feet (that had literally been KILLING me for over a year) were getting better - noticed less pain on day 4, day 5 pain til later in dow, etc., etc., to NOW - no
pain.
I SHOULD BE SO HAPPY! AND  I AM EXCEPT MY ACID REFLEX ID KILLING ME!!! S/S- SEVERE, SEVERE NAUSEA, WRETCHING, (NORMALLY DO NOT HAVE HEARTBARN, BUT DID LAST WEEK); PAIN A ROUND MY "BRA" LINE AND MORE TO MY BACK. GEN MD REFERED ME TO CARDIOLOGIST - STRESS TEST & ECHO WNL. I WAS  PRESCRIBED kAPIDEX (?) bid X 5 DAYS. REFLUX BETTER - FEET STARTING TO HURT!!!
TRYING ALOE VERA JUICE, GINGER. Are there ANY GERD meds that DO NOT block the absorption????
PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME. I WANT TO FEEL GOOD AND BE ABLE TO WALK AT THE SAME TIME, AGAIN!!! THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!
PLEASE HELP ME! Thank you in advance for all your help!! S Reifers
I was taking Prilosec OTC 'til it started making me really nauseous every time I took it.  A friend of mine warned me not to take Prilosec, because it ruined the lining of her stomach and her intestines.  Since the medication was making me feel sick all the time, I stopped taking it when she told me this.

Another friend of mine told me about the link between food sensitivities and GERD.  I tested her theory and found it to be true.  Certain foods that you wouldn't think would be associated with aggravating GERD do, in fact, aggravate my own GERD.  Ginger is actually one of them.  It also raises my heart rate.  Not Tachycardia, but still rapid heart rate.  If I still have breakthrough heartburn or reflux or ate something that I didn't expect to cause problems, I take prescription strength Benadryl.  Guess what, it works!  So, I know that what my friend told me about food sensitivities and GERD is true, especially for those of us who already have other allergies.

I don't know of any GERD medications that don't block absorption or mess with the lining of the stomach and intestines.

Try avoiding the foods that we're always told to avoid.  Try an elimination diet, too.  You may not be aware of this, but sulfites bother some people.  Sulfites aggravate my GERD.  Sulfites are in all processed foods.  There are ways of eating the foods you like, without having to spend your life in the kitchen.  Old fashioned crock pots are coming back into fashion and are great for busy families, too.  I don't have any food in my place that is canned, except the cat's food, and I don't have any packaged prepared foods.  I also don't have any foods with gluten in them.  Anything in the freezer is either meat, or it's something I made from scratch.  While avoiding sulfites, avoid white sugar and high fructose corn syrup.  These contain huge amounts of sulfites.  Cane sugar and raw sugar are safe and don't contain sulfites.  I also avoid honey, because I discovered that I'm allergic to honey, too.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem