GERD (Acid Reflux) Community

Spasms in sternum / epigastric area during exercise

I have had GERD for a few years, since having my gallbladder removed in 2009. It recently became severe last year in June, and I had surgery (LINX) just a few weeks ago (March 24th) to fix it. I have had a rocky recovery, and I have been having some of the same symptoms I had before. The most concerning one is, during exercise, I get pressure and tightness in my sternum / lower chest area and my it feels like my heart is pounding in my throat (a spasm like feeling.) I noticed that when I do not eat or drink for at least 4-6 hours it is much better, but the feeling frightens me since it feels like a heart problem. It causes shortness of breath and a feeling of light headedness. I have to stop working out and catch my breath. Burping seems to help, which makes me think it's just pressure in my epigastric area. I also had a hiatal hernia repaired, though it was not sutured. Anyone ever felt this sensation? I am beginning to feel even more broken than before. I am considering seeing a cardiologist for a stress echocardiogram to rule out a heart condition. Any help is greatly appreciated.

This discussion is related to Weaning Off Prilosec.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem