Weight loss 3 months after Nissen Fundoplication?

I had my Nissen done on 10/18/10. For the most part, my recovery has gone very smoothly. I can eat pretty much anything now without trouble, my symptoms are gone, and overall I feel pretty good. However, I'm still slowly losing weight. I expected the immediate weight loss that I had in the first week or so because of the liquid/soft diet, but I'm still losing about a half a pound a week. I eat what I feel are normal portions, and I eat until I feel full. I even eat a little junk food here and there :)

I'm 5'6", medium frame, and about 122 pounds right now. My size 2 pants are starting to feel loose. I'm really concerned that I'm still losing weight. Is this normal for this point in the recovery process? Can I expect the weight loss to stop soon? This all comes on the heels of intentionally losing 30ish pounds, so I definitely never thought I'd have the problem of being unable to STOP losing weight!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Glad to hear that your weight loss stabilized. I guess I'll just wait and see at this point unless someone tells me otherwise :)
Helpful - 0
Oops.  I meant weight loss.
Helpful - 0
We have very similar histories.  I had the procedure done about 09/01/10 and also lost weight immediately after the procedure, and continued to lose about 1/2 pound a week until about a month ago when my weight stabalized.  Prior to the sugery I had lost twenty five pounds over three years because of a heart condition, so I've dropped forty five pounds.  I find I can eat anything and everything now, just not as much. I'm guessing you fill up a little quicker, hence the heat loss.
The only problem I've had with the Nissen Fundoplication procedure is that I've had to buy new clothes.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the GERD (Acid Reflux) Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem