What is a 24 hour monitoring test?

I have had severe bloating, heartburn, acid reflux and just plain miserable from stomach problems. I have had upper G.I's, endoscopies, and all they ever tell me is that my stomach is irritated and take meds. I have taking prevacid, nexim, prolisec, am now taking Zantac 150 twice a day and nothing helps. I am 56, female weighing 185 lbs. I have tried many times to lose weight but I had my thyroid removed and now its seems impossible to lose 1 lb. I started walking 2 or 3 times a week. I can't do much exercise because I have 2 bulging discs in my back. My son is a drug addict and I am under a lot of stress. We have 6 kids and 14 grandchildren, something is always going on. Any suggestions for this miserable stomach?
Read more
Follow - 0
Upvote - 0
24 hours pH monitoring is a test in which a probe is placed in the lower part of esophagus which measures the pH over a period of 24 hours. It is the confirmatory test for GERD.

PPI and lifestyle modifications provide relief.

Life style modifications -
1. Head elevation while sleeping
2. Small frequent meals
3. Going to bed 2- 3 hours after food
4. Avoiding bed time snacks
5. Avoiding smoking and alcohol
6. Avoiding tight fitting clothes
7. Avoiding cola, citrus drinks, carbonated drinks, tea, coffee, spicy food
8. Weight reduction
The information provided is for patients’ education only and is not a medical advice. Always consult your personal physician for complete evaluation of your health problem.

- Ratnakar Kini M.D.