GERD (Acid Reflux) Community

When Prilosec helps but not enough - what's next?

I'm pretty convinces I have a bad case of acid reflux and have for years. But only recently has it gone nuclear on me causing pain and real sickness. I've been on Prilosec 12 days and I do think it has helped. But not enough. Who has been in this situation and what is the next level above Prilosec? More than one prilosec a day seems to be a nono. Thanks in advance!
Ur dr can tell u if taking more meds is needed...but modifying diet and lifestyle can help the prilosec work...and it can take a while to see results of these meds....

Have u modified ur diet?

"selma"
I've been modifying my diet out of necessity - over the past few weeks I'm only eating maybe half what I did in a normal day. The past 3 or 4 days the mornings have started off fine and I've eaten small meals with no problem foods and felt almost normal in the afternoon. Then, like clockwork, about 5pm a flareup begins with bad gas and abdominal cramps and lasts 3-4 hrs. Since I take the prilosec at 6 am I wondered if at that time it is wearing off.
It is possible it is wearing off....but u can be either doing something that is still aggravating it or it is possible that a food on the safe list may be affecting u.

Keep a journal to see what u eat and look for a pattern besides the time of day u already noticed.

Try also to eat 5 or 6 small meals to aid digestion and see if that helps...not eating can cause gerd/reflux.

"selma"
I have been trying to track down what it might be. For example yesterday I had skim milk and cereal, baked chicken and rice, and some saltines and herb tea. Still, at 5pm it hit me.

I have had the experience of eating being an aid. My barium swallow is Mon so Sunday I am on a clear liquids only diet. I am kind of worried about what that will do. The nurse said it will help but I'm not so sure.
The clear diet helps for the test to be sure they can watch the barium going thru u...liquids have a better chance of swiftly moving and taking with it food from previous days......

Be sure to drink plenty of H2o after the test is complete to flush the barium out of u.

I had the test done a couple of times and most recently last yr this time....u will be fine : )

Mayb u need smaller and more frequent meals...sounds like u had breakfast and lunch....if u broke ur lunch into 2 smaller meals mayb that would work for u?

Good luck with ur test on Monday!!

"selma"
So how much of the barium stuff do you have to drink and how bad is it? I'm concerned about that because I have a hard time getting yucky stuff down, even malox and Mylanta. They probably won't be too happy if I keep yaking it up on my chest :)
Well, I am a tough one when it comes to stuff like that and I did it......and it depends on the person doing the testing...I had to eat it in fruit cocktail, spread on crackers and drink it....
it really didn't have a taste, but the cup was heavy...lol.....
Thanks for all the help you are giving me here, I really appreciate it! Here's a Q - as far as you know, is there anything you can do when you feel an "attack" coming on to set it back? Any medications that can be taken as needed, or food or even exercise? or am I at its mercy? All I know to do is pound down some simethicone and I'm not sure whether that helps or not.
Well now that u r on a liquid diet for the test there is nothing right now....but, if after the test is done u have this happen again, try more meals during the day, but smaller meals,

U may also want to try dry saltines......I am not sure if it is the acid that is causing ur pain and I am sure ur dr will offer some advice....I can only tell u what worked for me and it may not help for u.

Please let me know  how ur test goes.

"selma"
I guess I'm assuming I will still have the symptoms after the test since the test itself isn't going to fix anything. I have tried saltines and they do work. It seems as if bland bread like things help. Another is plain tortillas. I microwave them hot and eat them with skim milk. I was just wondering if there were any other tricks.

I'm on the clear liquid diet today, haven't eaten anything real for 18 hrs. Surprised that I still have some cramping and gas since there can't be much in me. I suppose those acid pumps continue to overdo it even when there is no food to digest.
Yeah, that is the problem the pumps  pump too much and cause the problem......

Breads , saltines work great...I also found apple cider....or an apple helps me too, not sure y, but there r many that believe in apple cider vinegar, I can not go that route...yuck, but apple cider is good and helps with the IBS issues I have.

Yeah, u will still have the problem...but, if u do not flush the barium out u will have another one....so drink  a lot of water after u get home.

"selma"
Well, I'm home. That was an ordeal, glad it's over. The resident told me they saw nothing abnormal. I don't know what to make of that. Not that I wanted anything abnormal, but if nothing it still leaves the question of what has caused these last 4 weeks of symptoms.

I'm drinking all the water I can and eating light. I could eat more but figure I should take it slow. I feel like I have a knot just below the navel and I get a cramp now and then. I guess that is to be expected?
Yeah, the barium itself is a heavy metal......like I noticed, the small cup was heavy to lift...and it has to get flushed from ur system.....so no worries if u notice it b4 u flush...very typical after ingesting so much of it....

So u had no trouble getting it down? It was given to me cold and I feel that helped.

Yeah I also think I stayed on liquids for a little while after to help flush the barium out...and until u get the heads up on nething found....and I am not sure if the resident can dx from the testing....

Good luck with the results : )
"selma"
I'm feeling better with time and lots of fluids and eating normally. I don't think the resident was trying to diagnose anything - he didn't even know the reason I was having the test. He just said they didn't see anything abnormal. I would guess that if they "had" seen anything abnormal he wouldn't have been permitted to say anything at all so I guess I'll take that as good news.

I'm turning my attention to foods now in the assumption it is acid reflux. I never really saw much correlation between what I ate and symptoms but maybe the lag time was so long I just didn't connect it. Anyway I've cut out carbonated beverages of which I drank a lot, citrus, and even though I tried to keep fat low I'm cutting it lower. I'm disappointed to hear tomato can be a problem. I don't eat them plain much but like foods with tomato based ingredients like spaghetti and sauce. Maybe I can find a non-tomato sauce. Anyway, thanks once again for all your help!
PS - My Dr just called and said everything was normal and moved through very well. No obstructions or ulcers. There was evidence of a small hiatal hernia. He is saying to manage with diet for awhile, see how it goes and go from there. So now I'm studying up on foods and thinking how I can change lifestyle in that way. Thanks again!
I also have a hiatal hernia and was able to stabilize it with meds and then just diet....I went yrs not needing the meds...........I hope u r able to get urself stabilized too.

Good luck
"selma"
hi..i am 26 yrs old.i first experienced severe pain in my abdomen that radiates to my chest and back when i was 4 months pregnant.i thought it was due to my pregnancy.but after my pregnancy the pain was still there thats why my OBgyne requested for upper abdomen ultrasound.the result shows that i have gallstones.i consulted a surgeon and suggested urgent surgery.so i decided to have an operation.but after my operation..i am still experiencing the same pain.i am crying almost every meal because it really hurt my back and abdomen..i also underwent endoscopy.the result was; severe hiatal hernia, esophagitis, mild ulcer, duodenitis, h pylory positive. they gave me, nexium,motillium,mucosta,clariget and antibiotics for a month..but to no avail..until now im suffering with this pain..

my im-gastro told me i shpuld continue nexium for three months...

help me please..im so helpless..
I wish I knew enough to help you but I am a novice at all this. I think you should post a message in the general forum and title it something like - advice on these symptoms. Good luck. And one thing I have learned, no matter how down you feel try to muster up a positive attitude, it helps. Stress and worry only makes all this stuff worse.
I have found that some Maloxx helps when the Prilosec wears off and it will wear off after you have been taking it for awhile.  
I hope this reaches any and all who need to hear this.  My daughter started having stomach pain in Nov 2008.  She had severe stabbing pain that even felt like punching pain at times.  She often regurgitated acid into her mouth.  She was dizzy and had headaches.  The doctor prescribed antacids and over time the prescription was more and more and stonger and stronger antacids.  Nothing helped.  She was eating less and less and losing weight each time she weighed in at the Dr.  She had an upper GI done which showed one episode of GERD.  She was scoped and no ulcers were found no any nodules.  Tests for H. Pylori were negative but the Gastroenterologist treated her anyway in hopes it would make the pain go away.  She had an ultrasound to see if her gallbladder was the problem.  It was not.  She was really suffering.  Yesterday I found a site on Hiatal Hernia:  An overlooked cause of disease by Steven H. Horne.  I immediately took my daughter to the chiropractor and he manipulated her stomach and moved the hernia down by hand.  She was so much better.  She came home and ate a full meal.  She slept well and is only a little sore most likely at the site of the iliocecal valve which is often swollen and irritated from the stomach acid since it did not close well while the stomach was stuck in there.  My daughter ate a full breakfast this morning which is a miracle.  I did have her drink a pint of warm water this morning and stand on her tippy toes then drop to her heels.  The warm water relaxes the muscle and the weight of the water helps the stomach to drop down into place and get out of the way of the valve.  If you are having these sypmtoms go to a chiropractor or a massage therapist who can help you.  Try the water too.  I'm amazed!!!!!!!!!!  Her face is without pain this morning and she is smiling.  It's miraculous.  I hope anybody who needs to see this see's it and gets help.   I know you are suffering and are ready to be well.  God bless you. M.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem