GERD (Acid Reflux) Community

Why do i have coloured drool every morning when i wake up?

Hello
I have had this condition for SIX years and still have no clue whats wrong. Been through a few general health checks including X Ray and nothing odd showed.
basically i drool almost every night which is gross but fine, however my drool is very foul and dark coloured. fortunately i sleep alone but it gets embarassing when i travel or when i get lucky.
I'd like to know what on earth could be wrong and if there was something really wrong i would have known after 6 years.
anyone else goes through this, any remedies?

i am a smoker and drinker although i cut down on cigarettes for the past 5 months.
i am omnivorous but in the past year i was diagnosed diabetic and am working to reverse my condition (and its improving according to the doc i saw yesterday, when my blood sugar dropped from 15 to 7 in a few months)
i feel better the past 3 months than the past 8 years combined so my health is on the up, just this annoying drooling thing is bothering me.

any thoughts appreciated
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem