GERD (Acid Reflux) Forum

bloating/pains in abdomen, bloody stools?

I'm a 21 year old relatively healthy male. I've had recent abdominal pains and went to the doctor who diagnosed me as having some acid problems in my stomach. I had maybe two/three bloody stools in the last 4 months, but it was dismissed because it wasn't in relation to this recent abdominal pain). I was prescribed Zantac to relieve the pain (150mg twice daily). It has helped in the last week and I don't have the same pains anymore, but I'm experiencing bloating and lower back pains. Also, I had sudden soar-ness in my upper back and triceps like it was the day after a work out.  The last day or so, I've been having constipation (The inability to pass stool easily and at a natural pace, Malformed stools, A low volume of stool in respect to high volumes of food intake).

is the bloating/pains attributed to the constipation? It feels like there is stool remaining after I go to the washroom and it was misshaped this morning. Should I go see a doctor or is this a side-effect of Zantac? Or something more serious?

Thank you for any help!
Hi dyoll,
Zantac contains ranitidine. Ranitidine  can cause constipation.

Take plenty of fluids and high fiber diet which can help you have a comfortable bowel movement. If constipation persists, meet your physician for evaluation.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The information provided is for patients’ education only and is not a medical advice. Always consult your personal physician for complete evaluation of your health problem.

- Ratnakar Kini M.D.

A related discussion, GERD and Cancer was started.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem