fasting and medications

i have a history of gerd and barrett's esophagus and 4 years ago degenerative disc disease in the lumbar spine.i would also like to quit smoking.before i turn 50 in january.i am 6'4" and weigh 250 lbs so the county hospital doctor where i recieve my care wants me to lose 30 something lbs and so far i have gained weight. sooo..... i would like to go on a juice fast. 30 years or so in the past i used to do these with excellent results but back then i wasnt taking prevacid.if i go on this fast after a few days the body's organs shut down and go into detox or cleansing mode for lack of a medical term on my part if i'm not mistaken. so if all i am consuming is fresh juices which go straight into the bloodstream to nourish and cleanse the system would i still need to take my daily dose of prevacid? i dont think i would because i was under the impression that acid production would shut down because i had stopped eating for so many weeks but i'm not a doctor and with a possibiliy of cancer i cant take any chances. i dont even know if it is possible to take my meds and still fast, can you shed any light on this for me?,   thank you very much, James.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
You have to continue the medications.
Acid production will be there even if you consume only fruit juice.
Since you have Barrett's esophagus which is irreversible, regular follow endoscopy is essential to see if it has turned malignant.
Helpful - 1
Hi Dr. Kini,                                                                         Oct, 12 2009 Oct, 12 2009

I'm  a 39 years old female in pain. I started having stomach problems three years ago. I was taking lexapro for P.M.S symptoms when I started having bloating, pain, bleaching, gas, spasms in my stomach, and feeling full after eating a few bites of food. A ultra sounds showed that I had gallstones. I had my gallbladder removed and still had the same symptoms except the stomach pain has left. I have now been diagnose with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and gastroparesis  Disease. I have had hypothyroid  since I was 26 years old.  
   Since May I've had severe acid reflux because of the delay emptying of my stomach. It's was so bad that I had acid in my lungs and was on a inhaler. I raised the head of my bed 9 inches higher, that helped with my lungs. For four months now I've been taking nexium twice a day. I've also changed my eating habits, small meal's, cut out fats and all the other foods and drinks that cause acid.  Changing my eating habits and not being able to eat much I keep losing weight I'm down to 111 pounds. I don't have diabetes I know they say that one of things to check for with gastroparesis.
     My G I doctor prescribed  Reglan for my stomach but I couldn't take it so he has now three years later he put me on Erythromycin, I've been on it for two months.. My acid reflux hasn't improve will it ever?  I'm also worried about gastroesophageal caner! PLEASE HELP!

Jamie
                                                                              Blue Ridge,GA                      
Helpful - 0
Thank you Dr. Kini!, I can now start my fast with confidence. Also, I had no idea I could still develop the cancer.This is very good information to have.I haven't had the scope in some years, I will have to mention this to my new doctor at my next appointment.Again, Dr.Kini, thank you very much for your knowledge on this matter, James.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the GERD (Acid Reflux) Forum

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem