GERD (Acid Reflux) Community

nexium use

HI all

For years I've sufffered from gerd, stomach ulcers, and general inflammation and severe discomfort which flares and then dies down but never goes away completely. Been taking Zantac effervescent regularly and have tried every other drug known to man but the doctor suggested we try 20mg Nexium a day to see if that helps. It has, but after 10 days now I seem to be getting worse again. Also started taking Gaviscon (again) before meals.
The question is how long do we take the Nexium? permenently, or stop when I feel better? the doctor was vague abd said the usual; come back in 2 weeks and let me know how you are.
Anybody have any side affects? It might be co-incidence but since I started on the nexium I have been going to the toilet 3 to 4 times a day (number 2's) where usually it's once or maybe twice depending on what I eat.
As usual, all opinions will be most appreciated.

regards, Kev
Helicobacter pylori (H pylori) bacteria causes more than 90% of duodenal ulcers and up to 80% of gastric ulcers, is a common cause of chronic gastritis (stomach inflammation), and a cause of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).

Helicobacter pylori bacteria neutralizes and decreases secretion of gastric acid to aid its survival in the stomach.  Other causes of insufficient stomach acid include aging, hypothyroidism, atrophic gastritis, pernicious anaemia, gastric bypass surgery.

At the very least request a urea breath test to see if you do have H Pylori. Triple antibiotic therapy is needed to kill this bacteria off. As for acid blockers, they are for short term use only. The 4 primary consequences of acid blocking drugs are increased bacterial overgrowth, impaired nutrient absorption, decreased resistance to infection, increased risk of cancer and other diseases.

Excerpt from "Stomach Acid" by Jon Barron:

"The bottom line here is that most people are very confused about the role stomach acid plays in health. Most people:

Think they have too much, when in fact they have too little.
Treat the symptom and suppress stomach acid production, ultimately leading to long-term health problems.
Ultimately lose the capacity to produce sufficient stomach acid as a result of dietary abuse and continual use of medications to suppress the body's ability to produce it.

Don't get into that trap.

Use digestive enzymes with all your meals.
Drink aloe vera juice.
Use probiotic supplements with confidence.
Use proteolytic enzyme supplements with confidence.
And, if needed, use apple cider vinegar or betaine hydrochloride supplements to make up for stomach acid insufficiency."
Thanks for your reply, we've talked before. I agree with all you have said, and have tried it all. I mean ALL. My problem is that at times my system doesn't produce enough acid, and sometimes too much.
Numerous doctors have given up. It just goes in never ending circles. Ulcers flare and then settle down and it's when it all 'flares' that I decide life isn't worth living and desperately try something new. I have bought enough slippry elm from Flannery's Health store to build a tree. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it makes it worse.
I've been taking a Nexium a day for 14 days and today I feel rotten again. Going to stop now and see what happens.
When I feel really bad I strictly adhere to a balanced diet....equal amount of chips to chocolate ice cream. That nearly always makes me feel better. I always have had problems eating fruit and raw vegetables, and feel best when I eat Pies and fish and chips and hamburgers (proper Aussie ones) with the lot. Anyway, just one more thing you might be able to help me with;
I have noticed that my weight keeps going up......could it be the Nexium? can't think what else it could be...(wink)  
redstar is right. the digestive enzymes--the apple cider vinegar--the aloe vera juice-the probiotics. i did all of that and still do.

i say you should not be eating pies and fish and hamburgers.
those things are bad for all of us - even the ones of us who do not have GERD.

I was having some digestive difficulties - on-going for months - they were : belching, bloating, heartburn, sensitivity at the waist, intestinal gas, hiccups, difficulty in swallowing capsules, overall fatigue, full feeling at base of throat, pain or burning in upper chest, pressure in the chest, pain in the left side of chest.

So I read on-line about hiatal hernia and I tried the self-massage technique described here and felt immediately better.
I had to do it more than once over a period of time and I had a masseuse do it to me 3 times in 3 months. I also did the water in the stomach technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX0zKB2_ ... re=related

As of 90 days ago, I also stopped eating chocolate, stopped drinking coffee, alcohol and sparkling water began taking natural papaya enzyme with meals and chewable calcium after meals.
The calcium helps the LES valve to close. I now eat a 95% low fat starch based vegan diet. i eat a much smaller meal at dinner than ever before and I do not eat after 5:30 or 6:00. I go to bed
at 9:30 or so and it's best not to have eaten anything within 3 hours of bedtime. For the last few weeks I have felt "normal" again. Oh I did take Prilosec
for about 8 weeks but was able to taper off that using Pepcid. If you want more info on that, let me know.
My mother lost weight (without changing her diet) when she stopped nexium and gaviscon and started digestive enzymes and betaine HCI with pepsin. I had a look online about this based on the fact that lower stomach acid is a cause of poor digestion. A quick google search and i found the article "Poor Digestion Can Make You Fat" by William McKenna. Hmmm. So can you have your aussie hamburgers and lose weight too? If you digest your food well the odds are better...well unless you eat too many. :P
thanks a lot....just watched the video and have already given myself a massage (no, not that naughty kind) the hernia one. I have a feeling that this will help me a real lot. I'll keep you posted on how it goes. thanks again, Kev
you are welcome. keep doing the self-massage and get someone else to do it for you too and let me know how it goes. I sent you a private message too.
those things are bad for all of us - even the ones of us who do not have GERD. Dr Mc Dougall says a low fat vegan diet is the best one for GERD.
Nothing is going to help if you are eating the junk that you posted you ate.  

Are you overweight as well?  

You should make sure you are making life-style changes as you can't just rely on medications to remedy this.  
Thanks for your interest....yes I am overweight and always have been a big man. When i was young I played Australian football (contact game) and was big then too.
I have been frustrated for years, and so have my doctors because sometimes I feel ill if I eat a piece of fruit and want to die; other times when I feel horrible I feel better if I eat a couple of grapes or a small piece of orange.
I don't limit my food to 'junk'. that was a bit of fun but I do feel best when I eat things like potato, croissants, bread and fried snacks.
I am sure decreasing the excess weight even by 10 pounds would help matters.  Excess weight increases pressure on organs.  

You probably should make a better effort to eliminate the junk COMPLETELY and get more active.  

I have heard this from patients who have problems with their sugar levels that they feel "better" when they eat the junk (usually it is something HIGH in carbs, fats and/or sugar) vs. when they try to eat healthy.  

Have you ever had your bs (blood sugar) checked?  You might want to try eating SMALL meals throughout the day to keep your bs from fluctuating all over the place plus this will be easier on your stomach.   I find mixing a complex carb with a protein works great.  

I am not really an advocate for giving patients medications if they aren't making life-style changes and just RELYING on medications to make things "all better."  Life-style changes should be in COMBINATION with medications.  Sometimes life-changes ALONE does the trick.  
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem