Gallbladder Community

Excess bile in my stomach 10 years after gallbladder removal

10 years ago I had my gallbladder removed a few months after the birth of my daughter.  Of course things have never been quite right as far as my digestive system goes since then.  However, I now have a new set of problems.  Since January I have been waking up with severe stomach pain, nausea and vomiting.  And once I vomit, which is nothing but bile, I usually feel slightly better although have no appetite for a few hours.  I have lost some weight which is OK because I am overweight, however this is really not fun.  I am worn out!  I went to a Gastroenterologist last week and he has scheduled me for an endoscopy.  He did mention that because I have no gallbladder, that perhaps excess bile is backing up into my stomach.  Does anyone else know what I am going through?  Is there a speical diet I should consider to help myself?  
Did you ever findout what was wrong? I am having these EXACT symptoms right now. I just had some blood drawn this morning for lab work and am waiting for a Gastroenterologist referral as we speak.
Thanks!
Hope this might help. I had my gallbladder out in 1985, but that was NOT the problem.  Pain still was horrendous! Went to see a Billary Specialist. He diagnosed Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction.  The tiny muscle that allows bile from the gallbladder/liver/pancreas to empty into the intestines. This tiny sphincter muscle freezes closed and the bile backs up into the stomach, pancreas and liver (no gallbladder) Dr performed an ERCP and took a laser to the muscle to open it and I could feel the draining immediately.  10 years later, symptoms, another ERCP now 9 yrs later I have symptoms.  Dr told me it would grow back or scar every 10 years. I am trying to get another one done before I lose my insurance 12/31/16.  If left untreated the bile in the stomach will cause it to bleed (Friated? Stomach) pancreas will be damaged and it will cause pancreatitis due to C. Diff, could cause death. After having this sphincter cut it was total relief!! I did get pancreatitis that took 3 weeks to clear up.  I am now on enzymes to help pancreas digest food. Good luck to all and Merry Christmas.
Why didn't they give you medicine for that my doctor did too make my stomach stop hurting I had my gall bladder out 17 years ago and I just started getting sick too my stomach I was not afraid to get that done either. I had the scope done bile is in my stomach and that doctor prescribe me a medicine for that it is hideous at first but after being on it for over a week and a half I am use too it stay away from the spicy foods and fried foods and fatty foods go more healthier than that.
Hi, I realize this post is a few years ago. but if there is any chance you check back here, I thought I'd share my problem. I had my gall bladder removed a month after the birth of my daughter, felt good for 6 months, then became chronically ill with nausea, fatigue, bloating, diarrhea, constipation. I saw several specialists and some just told me I was stressed or pretty much crazy. I have now had two Endoscopies and one Colonoscopy. Both Endoscopies found a puddle of bile in my stomach and my colon had a bacterial infection (possibly unrelated). Right now I am on Cipro (for infection), a specific Probiotic, and an ulcer medication (which is supposed to coat the stomach to protect from bile). The last eight months have been horrible. I had to have my Gallbladder out due to the excruciating pain but this is ridiculous!!! I have had to become very aggressive with doctors about my care, because for many of them, if they can't diagnose it, they don't know how to help you. Be your best advocate and don't let them push you around.
cipro and levaquin drugs is pretty dangerous and has last year gotten an FDA warning (2016) USE ANYTHING ELSE unless there are NO other options
SO true about this. the doctors are absolutely awful if they dont immediately have the and=swer. they wont look
Hi there, did either of you figure out what's wrong? I have been taking care of a friend who had her gallbladder removed. About 3 months later, she started experiencing severe pain in her right side just under the rib cage. Sadly, xrays, ultrasounds and CT scans have not revealed everything. Blood work comes back normal, but she is in severe pain. She has had an endoscopy, showing bile in her stomach.

The gastroenterologist prescribed some medication for her stomach, but the pain and burning in her right side have not subsided. Do you have any suggestions or recommendations on what to do?
Don't know if I'llread this so long after your post. Your friend's symptoms mirror my own. From online research, I will be talking to the gastroenterologist about the possibility of either bile duct blockage, sphincters not working properly and/or liver disease (scarring was found on my liver during my gallbladder surgery).
could they see the damage to the liver before that surgery?
Typically bile reflux gastritis produces pain in the center of the upper abdomen rather tan the right upper quadrant. Biliary type pain afer removal of the gallbladder should be evaluated. The studies that you mention have largely ruled out the structural problems but leaves the functional ones. It is entirely possible that the pain is from dysfunction of the sphinter of Oddi. It doesn't sound like this has been considered. The unfortunate thing about alkaline reflux gastritis is that there are no trustworthy tests for it. Seeing bile in the stomach after the patient has been placed left side down, sedated, and a scope rammed down their throat is far from diagnostic. This is important because failure of medical therapy would indicate surgery to disconnect the duodenum from the stomach. This makes it very difficult for any bile to make it backwards to the stomach and allow the stomah to heal. You clearly don't want this if bile reflux gastritis isn't really the problem.
Ok, so I had my gal bladder removed when I was 18, a few months after I had my daughter. Like everyone else I was having major stomach pains and my doctor finally listened to me (when I threw up in his office). It took my body years to recover at least 4! I had diarreah, pains in my stomach, bloating, and so on. After those 4 years I have been fine with much monitering to my diet. I do not eat fast foods at all, unless I really have to because I don't want the nasty side effects.
Anyways, after my 2nd pregnancy (2 years ago) I seem to be having issue's again. Really after I stopped nursing I would get bloating, diarreah, and stomch pains. I stopped nursing 8 months ago, but now for the last month I have been feeling like I need to vomit, but nothing comes up. I just sit in pain for a few hours feeling like crap.
Any ideas of what could be going on? I'm thinking it's bile build up in my stomach. I don't know, but I hate it. Having diarreah and this stomach pains just ruin my days (not all but a lot). I haven't been doing anything different either.
Bile reflux gastritis is one thing that could be causing your symptoms but there are several other possibilities. It would be wise to see a qualified gastroenterologist to help find an answer.