Gallbladder Community

Fed up with tummy nonsense

I am 37 and had my gallbladder removed 12 years ago. By my surgery date I was having excruciating 5-8 hour attacks twice a month so there is no doubt in my mind I made the right choice. However over the past 2 years my digestion has started a problematic downward slide. There seems to be multiple symptoms depending on what and when I eat. I should add I am guessing this is at all related to my gall bladder removal.

If I eat a large meal especially on an empty stomach (or fatty food) I have about 30-60 min until I basically diarrhea everything out. This is quick loose stools accompanied by mild to moderate short lived cramping. This resolves with in minuets of pooping. No nausea no vomiting.

This happens a couple of times a week, the rest of the time I have normal bowel movements.

Then there is the "kill me now" this always seems to hit in the late evening or middle of the night. Now that I think about it has always been at night. Starts with bowel cramping and diarrhea 1 to 6 hours after eating. Quickly escalates to stomach discomfort and 1-2 rounds of vomiting. The vomiting ends as soon as my stomach is empty and does not return even after sipping water. The diarrhea increases, by this point it is bile coloured water. This all lasts 12 to 18 hours at most. With full appetite back with in 24 hours.

I had originally thought maybe a stomach bug but it has happened exactly like that 3 times in the past year with no one else in my family getting sick. And no nausea just mild to moderate discomfort.    

I don't know if there is more than one issue or if I may be developing IBS or another gastro problem or allergy but this whole thing is now causing me to lose sleep and stress over what "might" be going wrong.