Gallbladder Community

Please Help… Post Gallbladder Surgery Problems?

*I hope I placed this in the correct category; I apologize if I didn’t. Even if you don't have an answer for me, I'd greatly appreciate an opinion because I'm not sure what to do. I don't exactly want to pay someone to tell me nothing's wrong, but I also don't want to let this go if something is.

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope someone is able to help me. Six months ago I underwent a laparoscopic cholecystectomy as I suffered serious gallbladder complications resulting in pancreatitis, chronic gastritis, and possibly liver complications. To clarify the “possibly”, I had extremely high liver enzymes while I was in the hospital and the HIDA scan indicated the possibility of severe liver disease, so I’m not 100% sure about this. Recently I have been experiencing intense dizzy spells (to the point where I’m unsure if I’ll lose consciousness) and noticed strange horizontal ridges on my fingernails (I have never seen these before). My Mom is diabetic and told me she also has experienced similar dizzy spells, and that this was due to hypoglycemia. Out of curiosity, I tested my blood sugar on two occasions; once when I felt fine, and once when I began feeling disoriented. When I felt okay my reading was 107, which is borderline diabetic. When I felt ill, my reading was only 38, which is low enough to actually induce a coma. Should I be concerned about this? Also, during the time of which this occurs, my heart races and pounds like I’ve run a marathon. Typically this is accompanied by pain in my left shoulder, neck, and chest. My heart will palpitate as well, and I will tremble as if I were cold. I also feel confused, my memory becomes jumbled, and I find it nearly impossible to focus both mentally and vision wise. I already have poor eyesight, but during these occasions I could swear I see double. Everything loses its definite form. This is entirely new for me, and entirely frightening.

The other concerns I have regarding this are an occasional sharp pain across my upper abdomen, and an occasional tenderness in my belly similar to what I felt while I had pancreatitis. These don’t necessarily occur simultaneously and last anywhere from a brief second to half an hour. Sometimes the pain is accompanied by a strange temporary “exploding” sensation in my mid/upper abdomen. I have experienced this sensation before, but a month prior to my surgery, after a stent was inserted into the bile duct to hold it open. Often it hurts so bad I am unable to stand upright and have to keep my body hunched over to prevent the pain from worsening. I realize this takes a while to completely heal, but should any of this be happening at all… and six months later?

Also, if it helps, I am a 22 year old female. I have lost 110 lbs. over the duration nine months (still need to lose thirty), and do not drink, smoke, or do drugs. I consume roughly 20 - 30 grams of fat, 30 - 40 grams of sugar, and 1,200 calories daily. I walk and do yoga for 40 minutes three days per week.

Why is this happening to me?

Thank you so much,

Jen
Hi, Understand your predicament. Postcholecystectomy syndrome (PCS), occurs after removal of the gallbladder. PCS is caused by alterations in bile flow due to the loss of the reservoir function of the gallbladder. Two types of problems may arise. The first problem is continuously increased bile flow into the upper GI tract, which may contribute to gastritis. The second consequence is related to the lower GI tract, where diarrhea and colicky lower abdominal pain can occur as the bile is continuously secreted. These symptoms should settle with time. Cholestyramine is a bile acid sequestrant, which binds bile in the gastrointestinal tract to prevent these complications. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance. Regards.