Gallbladder Forum

ULTRASOUND

You responded to a question of mine in the expert radiologist forum. I replied to your sarcastic comment. I'm sharing here also, to make sure you see my response.

Please don't assume that I've demanded a Ultrasound for my issue, it was my PCP you ordered the ultrasound for a problem I'm having with my liver. Therefore, common sense would be at the time of viewing the aorta, kidney, pancreas, ect. so, I was only asking if the ultrasound on the kidney area would also show the lump under my 6th rib. It would make more since to me to examine the lump at the same time. With all due respect, I'm entertained by some Dr.'s (not including my PCP) that misdiagnose or perform negligence surgery as I've experienced.  Unfortunately, not only will I and others have to suffer from medical errors. I wonder if he (the dr. that was negligent with me) thought about how it not only affected my pocket book, life, but also the cost of medical care rising from his error's like many other's. I'm sorry but I take human life as a priority. It's not like a computer that you can replace. Sorry, but I don't put a price on human life. Therefore, I'm not one who complains about paying for medical Insurance. Please note: I have a autoimmune disease & it's important for my dr. to investigate any issue to the fullest.  

Note: More of my post following this one, due to exceeding my WHOLE reply exceeds the limit in what is allowed in posting at once.

I am sorry to hear of your bad experiences with the medical profession but my comment stands. It is all too common that I see patients referred from extenders because referral to a specialist is easier than merely discussing a patient with their supervising physician. It is frequent that patients have had multiple costly imaging studies that were not required for a straightforward diagnosis that the physical exam would have sufficed. In my area of specialization, it is also common that I am put in the situation of dealing with a patient with an emergency problem because they were given bad advice when it could have been taken care of more simply and much safer when it was initially recognized. I love what I do. It is extremely fulfilling. I am lucky to practice in an area with an extremely high standard of care and incredible support from virtually any specialty needed. It is a shame that everyone doesn't have access to the same resources.

I've another question for you. If Dr.'s are so concerned about medical cost rising from unnecessary test. Why is it then, when you're told, for example in my situation I have a fatty liver. Well, instead of telling me the proper treatment in healing the liver. I'm told everything is normal & the reason for my high liver enzymes are caused by lipitor. They'll go down. Well, unfortunately, they are rising. Which will only have me having more test eventually. Therefore, I would think that the Dr. would inform me to make changes or detox the liver to heal it. No, I had to do research myself to find that out. To be honest, I've a hard time in trusting some Dr.'s after my bad experience. I've also realized, that each individual really has to watch out for themselves in doing their own research. I will say that, I've noticed alot of physicians do unfortunately like to support the pharmaceutical IMO. I like many other's have experienced that many many times. What would the reason for that be? I can only assume. To be honest, I only go to the dr.'s now, because of course I need the scripts to have blood test, ect. if I could order my own, there'd probably be no reason to see a physician, unless of course I needed surgery. Sorry, but your comment as you can tell did touch a nerve for being a physician, IMO to be more concerned about medical cost than a human life. I try to use common sense in my life decisions. Some food for thought, maybe medical professional's should lower their fee's and medical care wouldn't be so costly also.

I did forget to answer your question if my lump has been examined by my PCP. I must say it certainly was, however I've to question his response in telling me that something popped out of the sixth rib. Then, once I get home & call for a copy of that office visit. I notice, he states that I thought it was a pulled muscle. Now, if that's what I thought, i sure would've of went & paid a co-pay. So, that told me, he's not even sure of what it is. Sadly to say, but had the same experience with a previous misdiagnosis with a Dr. stating that I had a hital hernia and putting me on protonix (same Dr. that was negligent in a surgery that's irreversible) in which, I've learned I don't have a hital hernia, nevertheless have to take a acid reducer now for the rest of my life. IMO all because he wanted to cover up his negligence, when I had more issue's after the surgery he performed & he didn't have an answer, he figured he'd blame it on something I didn't have. Findings were found in his medical records, where he never put a diagnosis as having a hital hernia instead, stating he put me on protonix because I was complaining of having constant heartburn before pushing me out the door, because he new what he did was negligent. I must also mention, that the same Dr. has alot, I mean alot of malpractice suits against him & he's also has been found guilty in malpractice suits. He's now only able to practice under supervision & on probation. I've not only learned to go to Dr. profile on the internet & do research, look for malpractice and make sure the dr. is board certified, I've learned to get a copy of all my REPORTS & watch out for myself.  Sad thing is, I didn't realize to do the same before being referred to what I call a quack. It's hard to have trust in Dr.'s after bad experiences.
Well, everything that I've stated still stands also. However, unfortunately I do have alot of medical issue's that do have to be addressed. One is a cyst in the right kidney, high liver enzymes with symptoms, Hashi's, ect. Therefore, one would be concerned when lumps, bumps, rashes, pain, ect. are discovered. Therefore, I don't think it's appropiate to attack someone when they don't even know one's medical history. Again, I don't put a price on human life, and if I've to pay out of my own pocket for a repeat ultrasound, I would'nt have a problem with that. I've spent alot of unnecessary money, thanks to the negligence caused by that specialist I had. I was just wondering if the lump at time of doing scan of kidney area, would show the lump, that I discovered thru having pain. It was my PCP's choice for me having a abdominal ultrasound, due to having liver problems, cyst in kidney, pancreas, arota, not mine. So, it would've been common sense to scan the lump also, wouldn't you think? (you don't have to answer that question, because common sense tells me yes). I believe the expert radiologist had answered my question. I guess what upset me is the fact, that you didn't even answer my question on that forum, instead you just attacked me in assuming that I abuse medical Insurance with your comment.

It is all too common that I see patients referred from extenders because referral to a specialist is easier than merely discussing a patient with their supervising physician.

This may be true, and if you're insinuating that my PCP is in that category, then you're assuming once again. He treats my Diabetes & Thyroid disease and could've just easily referred me to a Endocrinologist. So, for the record I have a wonderful PCP, which is why I really worry when he does send me for Ultrasounds, recommends specialist after monitoring my diagnose for a long period of time. That tells me, he thinks it's much more serious and it usually is. So, I guess I'd rather have a PCP, that believes better safe than sorry. Let me add, that my PCP treats me for diabetes & Hashi's, i don't go to a Endocrinologist.

It is a shame that everyone doesn't have access to the same resources.

You're right it's a shame that everyone doesn't have access to to the same resources. It's also unfortunate that there's alot of medical negligence performed that could be prevented. Along with some Dr.'s that like to support the pharmaceutical industry by prescribing medicine's that aren't needed.

I definitely agree with your last comment. That is why billions are spent on TV commercials aimed directly at patients. They work. Patients requesting a specific treatment tend to get it regardless of whether or not it's the best choice. I love the disclaimers telling patients to give their physicians their history as it might be important. I also agree with you that what is probably the most important thing is having a PCP that you trust. It sounds like things have worked out well for you after some bad experiences.
I have a question for you. If I've been taking protonix for yrs. due to the misdiagnosis, is it true that I'll now have to take it the rest of my life? I tried to stop it for 3 days, with a no fat diet, eating just fruits and seasonal veggies. Needless to say, I had indigestion, nausea, a lot of pressure in stomach area. It was then told that I'd have to take it the rest of my life, because my stomach is now use to having very little acid and if I didn't continue to take them, I could get esophagus cancer. Is this correct?
You have referred to this misdiagnosis several times. Can you give me some details as to what the situation was and why you were startednon it initially? The short answer is that there is no data to suggest that the stomach is somehow altered by long term proton pump inhibitors. There doesn't seem to be any rebound of acid production on cessation. Any link to esophageal cancer is not related to the medicine but to the problem being treated. Current thought is that it is not acid reflux but the reflux of bile from the duodenum through the stomach and finally to the esophagus that most likely relates to cancer. Whereas historically most esophageal cancer has been squamous there has been a significant increase in adenocarcinomas of the lower esopagus in recent years. In animal studies there was a concern over an increase in carcinoid tumors of the stomach but this has not panned out in humans. Patients with Zollinger Ellison syndrome (tumor making gastrin) no longer require gastrectomies because they can be managed with high dose proton pump inhibitors at eight times the usual dose. Nnoe of these issues have been seen in these patients.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem