Gallbladder Community

What was the cause of your gallstones?

Gallstones occur when bile forms solid particles (stones) in the gallbladder.The stones form when the amount of cholesterol or bilirubin in the bile is high.Other substances in the bile may promote the formation of stones.Pigment stones form most often in people with liver disease or blood disease, who have high levels of bilirubin.Poor muscle tone may keep the gallbladder from emptying completely. The presence of residual bile may promote the formation of gallstones.Risk factors for the formation of cholesterol gallstones include the following:female gender,being overweight,rapid weight loss on a "crash" or starvation diet, ortaking certain medications such as birth control pills or cholesterol lowering drugs.Gallstones are the most common cause of gallbladder disease.As the stones mix with liquid bile, they can block the outflow of bile from the gallbladder. They can also block the outflow of digestive enzymes from the pancreas.If the blockage persists, these organs can become inflamed. Inflammation of the gallbladder is called cholecystitis. Inflammation of the pancreas is called pancreatitis.Contraction of the blocked gallbladder causes increased pressure, swelling, and, at times, infection of the gallbladder.When the gallbladder or gallbladder ducts become inflamed or infected as the result of stones, the pancreas frequently becomes inflamed too.This inflammation can cause destruction of the pancreas, resulting in pancreatitis and severe abdominal pain.Untreated gallstone disease can become life-threatening, particularly if the gallbladder becomes infected or if the pancreas becomes severely inflamed.
It started out with kidney stones that they found because I had lots of bladder problems. Now they want to look at gallbladder!
I had suffered greatly from gallstone formation. And I honestly think or at least in part had to do with birth control pills and hormonal. Once I changed my lifestyle and diet I felt a whole lot better. Of course I also treated the gallbladder. But people can really prevent things from happening by decreasing the harmful things they put in their body. At least that is my view.
I have had nearly a year of stomach pain, sickness, sweating, itchy skin, feeling very tired and generally unwell after eating and was being treated for IBS. By the sounds of it I have been very unlucky because I have the pain every day with only the occasional breaks. I have been going for blood each month for 4 months and each time my liver reading was high after much pressure my GP sent me for an ultrasound scan and it showed that my gallbladder was full of stones and scar tissue.  Now I'm waiting to have my gallbladder removed.
I've had these belly aches for nearly four years now. I'm suffering from a chest ache feeling sick, headaches, so I went to the doctor and he did an ultrasound and found gallstones in my gallbladder.
do the protein food hardens the stones
Unbeknownst to me my rapid weight loss and addition of estrogen at the age of 55 caused the formation of gallstones.
I just came from the ER with symptoms of gallbladder stones. The pain was so horrible this time I could not find any relief at all. I tried a heating pad then an ice pad, but nothing worked. I finally gave up at 3:00am and drove myself to the hospital. They started an IV and gave me something for the nausea and pain and it was a good hour or so before it finally kicked in. Had blood work, X-ray, and a CT scan which showed up positive for a stone. I guess it's time to get serious about my diet!
I went on a 500 calorie diet recently with no fat in my diet, 6 weeks later,and 30lbs lighter, I was having discomfort on my right side under my rib cage, lo and hold, the ultra sound showed gallstones! Surgery is in a few days, I look good, but I am not sure if it was worth it, would I do it again? No way!
can you pass gallstones through your biles
I did not feel any pain in the rightside under my chest as i have read in many cases, rather it strts from the center of my back and gradully spreads towards the whole chest. I almost yearn to breathe,after my ultrasound report i found multiple stones in my golblader,hoping to cure them soon
My 18 year old daughter has just had a cat scan and has gallstones everywhere ive read says older people get them is anyone young reading this that has gallstones??
I had my Gall Bladder removed 3 days ago I am unable to eat and am still very sore and tender when I eat something. I have to go to the loo is this normal
Earliest recollection for my body being out of control was intermittent incredible pain - AS THOUGH A CHEESE GRATER WAS BEING USED IN LOWER BACK AREA internally. Externally SKIN IN AREA SWEATED PROFUSELY.  The over use of a hot water bottle [my only relief] and its obvious thermal burn should have tweaked a need to further investigate.     Female 52, healthy eater, non smoker-drinker, interestingly......HRT use since 40.              Healthy, 52, non - smoker, drinker, fast food intake per fortnight maybe a small vegetarian pizza.  HRT use since 40. [Interesting reading eostrogen level and gallstones]
i had two prior episodes and no health care so i went to the er yesterday and i have gallstones and the ironic thing is that i eat like a VEGITARIAN!!!! i dont eat alot of meat when i order tacos i get them without the meat cause i dont like the taste  i usually eat cheeses bread fruits pasta and i just dont get it!!! I dont eat fried foods maybe once a month if i am out dining will i eat an appetizer thats fried otherwise i dont eat fried, i eat grilled fish grilled everything!! why did i get gallstones?????
I woke up on Monday the 7th of November, at around 3am with this excrutiating pain on my right just below the bladder. I've had the pain before but this time it was the worst ever. I tried lying flat on my tummy, lying on my side lying on my back and nothing helped, i quickly drove to the 24hour convenience store to get some painkillers, i had four painkillers at once, hoping that they will make sleep and when i wake up the pain will be gone but even that did not help. I drove myself to the private clinic just next to my place, with my niece who couldn't drive. They gave me an injection and some painkillers and the pain ceased for about half an hour. At around 9am it was so terrible that i was kneeling on my bed just praying not knowing what else to do, my niece called an ambulance, they took me for an x-ray and an ultrasound detected several stones on my bladder. The put me on treatment and the pains stopped same day and i've never had them again.The Dr had said that if i still feel the pains by today(the 10th of Nov), i'll have to go for surgery, but hear I am, in my own loungewith no single pain. Now I know that I have to seriously watch my diet.
Hospitalized with partial bowel obstruction (PBO) symptoms as experienced 7 yrs previous.  Gallstones appear to be the culprit... when a gallstone lodges in the duct, it truly replicates the pain of PBO.  Low risk, vegan, exercise 3x/wk and 100 lb... I am not a true candidate, tho my family has hi-cholesterol.  Hope this helps with someone.
Early last Spring I was routinely seeing my PCP and complained of Reflux inspire of taking Nexium regularly.  She ordered an Endoscopy but I didn't have it done right away.    At this same time, I was having increased IBS.  I've had it since childhood and basically just "deal" with it. I hadn't mentioned it in my doctors visit.   However, this had gotten to the point of not being able to leave the house until sometime after lunch.  Still, I just thought of it as a "flare-up".    In August, I saw another of my doctors routinely and told him of severe back pain only on my right side.  He had given me Vicodin scripts for my general Fibromyalgia/ Chronic Fatigue and Arthritis pain.  I took these "as needed", not routinely.  I told him that the Vicodin did not even "touch" the back pain.  As a result, he gave me Percoset, to again, be taken "as needed".  The Percoset didn't work either.    Sometime later, I had the Endoscopy done and at that time mentioned to my Gastroenterologist that my IBS was increased and unrelenting.  She prescribed a low dose of Levsin andI tried that.    The Levsin wasn't working...  The results from the Endoscopy raised some flags so my doctor ordered an Ultrasound.    Meanwhile, for some reason I began having really horrible nausea episodes...  2 or 3 of them.  The episodes lasted all day sometimes.    The day of the Ultrasound I learned that I had a gallstone in the throat of my Gallbladder.  I hadn't seen the doctor yet so I was just going to wait till the follow-up visit and discuss it then.    The next evening, I was carried to the ER at my local hospital.  Tests showed no inflammation or organ damage so they gave me Hydromorphon to take for the pain and also a nausea medicine.  Neither of them worked for my symptoms but because I took the Morphen as prescribed for my pain I wound up in the ER again 4 days later.  I thought I was again having Gallstone problems but after 3 1/2 days in the hospital, I called my PCP and "pushed" for an explanation for why I had developed a Bowel Blockage when I have IBS and no previous history of even be constipated!  She proceeded to mention, in list, some of the possible causes.  The third one was that the Morphen "could have possibly caused it".  Bingo!!  She would not commit to that, however.  A week later, I'm back in the ER with another episode of gallbladder.    During these hospital vists, I had every test imaginable.  None of them showed any evidence of Gallbladder problems.  Once or twice my liver function went up a little but not much.  None of the surgeons would do the gallbladder surgery because there is no concrete evidence that there is a problem.  I caught a horrible virus in the ER on my last visit and have been in bed for 4 weeks!  My Electrolytes are still down and I'm dehydrated and very, very weak.  The nausea still comes and goes but not to the extreme.  The back pain---  only on my right side and beneath the shoulder blade is almost constant and increases when I get up, even just to sit.  A new doctor has told me to take an OTC reflux medicine in the evening (in addition to my morning Nexium).  My IBS was treated with a stronger Levsin but I had to stop it because it did cause constipation, so my IBS is back.  Do you know of anything that could be going on besides the gallbladder/ stone???  Why won't the surgeon remove the gallbladder since I am having so much discomfort!  Is it an Insurance issue?  Is he afraid he won't be paid?  This is so crazy !!  HELP!!!
my mother has gallbleder stone of 13mm,but she dosnt feel pain,Is it harmful for future or not,n should we operate ?
DEAR SIR     IS IT ANY LOSS IN BODYB AFTER THE REMOVEL OF GALBLADER.
PLEASE SAY WHAT IS FAT ACCUMULATION IN GALL BLLADER AND WHAT'S ITS REMEDIABLE WAY
This is a very nicely-written review of Gallstones - easy to follow and helpful dealing with the condition.
I think that pregnancy either caused them or worsened them enough for symptoms to appear two months post-partum.  I'm only 20!!  Ive lost about 45 lbs from dieting to control my symptoms.  Sadly i have no medical insurance to remove my gallbladder.
I had eaten a very fatty meal the evening before my gallstone attack.  And frankly, I had eaten way too many fatty meals before that.
I think I suffered from a gallstone attack during the early hours of this morning. I woke up around 1am with the most severe feeling on my upper stomach. It was a very tight feeling and I actually struggled to breathe, move or even walk. This was the first time ever that experienced any symptoms like this and was pretty freaked out. My hubby rushed me to hospital where I was put on a drip and medicine straight away. About 2 hours later I was feeling much better. And when I woke up this morning I felt fine. Ultra sound didn't pick up any traces of the gallstone though which I find weird. Just so glad its over!
2