biliary dyskinesia

I have biliary dyskinesia with an ejection fraction of 23%. I am on a very low fat diet and I eat very little dairy or wheat.I have become very skinny since this began-- about 2 years ago. My symptoms include stomach pain that moves all over my stomach area after almost every meal, but especially dinner, nausea, bloating, gas, intestinal pain, sore throat, sometimes a feeling of heaviness/pain at my sternum, but I do not have upper right quadrant pain. Isn't that the most common gallbladder problem symptom? The doctors suggest surgery, but I don't understand why it would be helpful to remove an at least partly functioning gallbladder? I understand why removing the gallbladder might help relieve pain in the gallbladder area if the gallbladder is irritated, but how will removal help with my symptoms? And, why will removing the gallbladder help reduce the the overabundance of acid in my stomach? Nobody has been able to answer these questions for me, and thus, I've refused surgery and have been getting acupuncture instead for the past 6 months. I'm flirting with the idea of surgery again because I'm not sure that acupuncture is going to be able to heal the problem. It hasn't so far, but it has helped to relieve some symtoms. I would be very grateful if you can help answer my questions, and I am open to any suggestions you have to offer.

Sincerly, amy
Thank you for taking the time to read my post and respond.  It's greatly appreciated.  The idea of an every-other-year ultrasound to check for stones is such a prudent one and something that has not been mentioned to me before, so kudos to you. :-)   I will discuss that with the gastroenterologist next week.  Again, thank you for your time.
I have ejection fraction of 14% with no gallstones.  Symptoms are Bloating, mid gastric pain to the back.  The main symptom that landed me in the ED one year ago was severe left upper abdominal pain from back to front.  CT normal.  No diagnosis.  3 weeks later I had diagnosis of EBV.  After splenomegaly reduced, left pain reoccurred with abdominal distention and pain after fatty meals.  I have been on low fat, gluten free diet for 2-3 months and lost 15 pounds.  Pain mainly on left and abdominal bloating occur with almost any foods now. Surgeon is not sure cholecystectomy will cure symptoms.  Colonoscopy, EGD with internal ultrasound were all negative.  What do you think?
If your ejection fraction were 25-30% I would have my doubts but one of 14% is profoundly abnormal. With a thoughtful workup being otherwise negative I would strongly consider cholecystectomy.
Hi Dr. Watters. I had an ultrasound that showed my gallbladder was contracted, with my CBD at 1.6mm. My HIDA scan showed a 19% reading with the CCK at 20 minutes. I was nauseous when it was injected with pain in the center of my abdomen by my ribcage, but as the minutes went by and by the time I left the hospital, my typical pain was there. My typical symptoms are pain in the back - upper, left-middle -right - and the front right. I have some nausea, but mostly it's a dull ache on the left, while the right side ranges from a small ping to squeezing pain (after eating). I feel better eating small meals, or for a few weeks it was better not to eat. Lately I feel a little better with eating, but then the pain comes back. My surgeon gave surgery as an option, the other being seeing a GI. I've already modified my diet to manage my pain. I feel like I should have it out, but since I wasn't told directly to have it out, I'm doubting my decision.
I would recommend gallbladder removal based on multiple studies in the literature. There is an extremely high likelihood that this would resolve your symptoms.
Dear Dr. Waltters,

I've been diagnosed in 2010 with Autoimmune Hepatitis and Sclerosing Cholangitis (confirmed with liver biopsy and antibodies tests). I have also Type 1 Diabetes and Moderate Gastroparesis, and I am on several medications including synthoid (no narcotics). I had the Hida Scan with CCK done 2 weeks ago and I have 22% ejection fraction. . I am very concerned about surgery. I've been having stomach pain and nausea for about 10 months. It got very bad mid August. Since them I have pain daily, nausea is really bad and vomiting,  with a full stomach or not. Becase I have so many health issues, I don't know how to make a decision to go for surgery because I'm not sure that my GI knoes exactly what is causing pain, nausea, vomiting, bloating and all the above.... at one point, before my HIDA SCAN test, my GI asked me (with my husband as witness) that what  is so bad about vomiting couple times a week? I (said him) have seen patients that vomit 10 times a day due gastroparesis... in that same visit he ordered the HIDA SCAN and now he is talking surgery... I need more info in order to make a final decision... any suggestions on how to find out exactly the cause of so much pain and vomiting?? Thank you so much for your time.
You have a very complicated situation. I don't know who is following you but I would strongly recommend that you establish a relationship with a dedicated hepatologist at a tertiary care center where liver transplants are performed. This does not mean that you will need one but you need to be followed by folks with all tools available. Your combination of problems is far too complex for the local general GI doc to be following. These guys are far more focused on directing as many straightforward screening colonoscopies to them than dealing with complex medical challenges.
Thank you for your prompt answer. The AIH and PSC were diadgnosed at SHANDS - Gainesville and my insurance covers 1 follow up visit with the hepatologist according to his notes (every 6 months or 1 year). All tests, biopsies, etc have to be done local :( . So I will get in touch with this doctor and see If I can see him sooner. I will post how things worked up. I do appreciate you taking time to answer my question. I know how busy life can get and I am surprised that a MD would  take time to answer questions free of charge. You've got my admiration :) Thanks!
I was in the hospital 2 months ago and I believe they did that test on me HIDA (is this the test they do with nuclear medicine were you are in a machine that looks like a ct scan for 1 1/2 hrs)and my gallbladder was @ 15%, but at that time they said it was an infection and they treated that.  They did not want to remove my gallbladder because of fluid on my heart and lungs that they did remove.  They say I can wait to have the gallbladder removed.  Can I wait a year or should I go ahead and have it out asap.
The decision to remove a gallbladder for low ejection fraction is largely dependent on symptoms. The first thing I would suggest would be to repeat the study in a month or two. The fact that you sound like you were in some degree of congestive heart failure would adversely affect your gallbladder function due to some back pressure and edema. It is entirely possible that you don't need surgery.
He should avoid high fat foods (fried, cheeses, fatty meats, avocados), cauliflower, and for some, citrus.  
Coffee and other caffeinated foods including chocolate.  Alcohol should be avoided too.
Eat grains and lots of veggies, lean meats/fish.

I had a Hida scan and was scheduled to have CCK. After a few hours, the nuclear medicine wouldn't release from my gallbladder. The radiologist had me get up and walk for 1 hour. I was placed back under the machine and it still hadn't released from my gallbladder, so no CCK. I have all the same symptoms for gallbladder problems as the many people have posted. In do not have stones. Would this be a good indication that my gallbladder is not functioning properly?
Thank You
DRM
I don't quite understand the HIDA. They don't wait for it to leave the gallbladder before giving the CCK. Did the tracer never enter the small intestine?
The tracer never entered the small intestines.
It would be wise to have a MRCP before deciding on the gallbladder. Your study would imply that there is a problem downstream where the bile duct joins the duodenum.
Mrcp was normal. I have pressure and severe nausea. I've lost over 15 pounds and unable to eat any fat. I've been told this is most likely biliary dyskenisia?
Hi Everyone!

My symptoms have been constant since August. They consist of pressure in my chest on the right from my ribs up to my shoulder and even my neck. Many times after I eat (no matter what I eat) I get a burning between my shoulder blades that then settles behind my right scapula. Burping is constant, and brings up food, sometimes all the way into my nose! In the beginning, I had a lot of diahrreah, but now that I hardly eat anything I am more constipated. I have lost 55lbs since August.

I have had an ultrasound(showed tiny gallstones, but nothing big), upper endoscopy(mild gastritis, esopheageal reflux, possible spasm of valve to the stomach), barium swallow study (normal, although it wasnt a modified, so didnt include any food), HIDA scan (just found out it came back at 8% with a diagnosis of bilary dyskinesia), CT scan (normal). I have been seeing both my family Dr and a GI Dr.

Although the HIDA was done 5 or so weeks ago, neither Dr thought it was my gallbladder at that time. Yesterday, back for followup at the GI Dr, and he said since I was not getting total relief from the Dexilant at the mega dose, that it may be my gallbladder afterall and referred me to a surgeon.

Huh???? I am so confused!!!! I called my family Dr, and he would like to meet with me. I am so tired of not feeling well, not eating (although I enjoy the weight loss, I dont think my nutrition is good at all), people asking me whats going on etc. My asthma has also been worse, and my asthma Dr has put me back on Advair and Singular plus generic Claratin and an albuteral inhailer as needed. Also wondering about possable anxiety - lol!! Although all this could cause that, right? I do remember several weekends since last February where I did not feel well - 2 times specifically were very bad. Could these have been gallbladder attacks? I currently have such a limited diet -small amounts of lettuce, corn chex, a slice of whole wheat bread, baked potato, slice of low fat american cheese, tiny bit of roasted chicken...not much more at all - and I still dont feel well after I eat - the symptoms get worse - I rarely feel symptom free......

What should I ask my familiy Dr? I dont know what he will say! The surgeon doesnt have an opening until 12/27 - which stinks because that means I will have to pay  my deductable again if I need surgery. I have no medical history with the exception of the astma at all!!! UGH!!! Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!
I feel your frustration. I would ask to see my results and have your doctor review everything with you. I've been told my Hida Scans (I've had 2) were normal, but have all the same symptoms of biliary dyskenisia. The surgeon won't even see me although my GI doctor wants my gallbladder removed. I requested a copy of all my scans....to my surprise the radiologist that read the report stated there was indeed a problem with my gallbladder. I am frustrated with the medical field and lack of care. Be persistent and ask as many questions about your care and future care. I will be changing insurance in January due to this matter. You are also right about your deductible starting over.....it's all a ploy. I wish you luck in this battle. You can also call daily to see if there are any cancellations . I'd bug them.
Scheduled on November 12 for cholecystectomy.  Thank you for reassurance
For 8 months having upper right rib discomfort daily, sometimes stabbing. I have daily sudden nausea that comes and goes. I sometimes get woke up usually around 3 am grabbing my right side in pain then horrible sweating and i dont know if I'm going to throw up, pass out . a few times have had this horrible cramp in upper right rib that brings me to my knees until it goes away which is not too long. Have hade ultrasound w/no stones detected. Bloodwork only showed a high white count. Hida scan 74% no problem while testing but when i went to leave i almost got sick in the vehicle. felt sick all day and a little sore in right rib area. any suggestions ?
I forgot to mention I'm 46, female and have 6 people in my family with gallbladders out.
I had the same symptoms and I had my gb removed.  The recovery was quick but it didnt solve the problem. I still have the same symptoms.  I asked my dr to refer me to a new gastro dr because they tried to say it was ibs when the gallbladder removal didnt get rid of the problem.  He is doing some new tests and says that it may be diverticulitis.  I will update in a few weeks when I know more.  I have been dealing with this for over 3 years and the pain is worse than labor sometimes.  I am making sure they have the right diagnoses and that its really going to help before I have anymore surgeries.  
Dear Dr. Watters,
I wanted to give you a follow up about  my question to you on October 25, 2012.  I've writen  the Hepatologist at SHANDS and explained to him what has been going on. I faxed him the reports and told him that I would meet with my local GI and I need some advice or maybe see him earlier in order to make a decision towards gallbladder removal. He was polite and answered my e-mail telling me he would check my history and get back to me. I've writeen twice and even though he wrote me back a 2nd. time,  he didn't  an answer about the situation He is words were again, I will get back to you. I have seen my local GI and after discussing my history and the results of the HIDA SCAN he told me that he wasn't sure that the gallbladder is causing all the symptoms taking in cosideration AIH and PSC. He wants to hear the opinion of the  Hepatologist from SHANDS before we make a final decision which I agreed. The problem is my visit with Hepatologist is scheduled to Jan/10/2013 and I was not able to have an earlier appt. Meanwhile I have been vomiting on weekly basis (2 x at least) and taking 40 mg of Zofran a day in order to keep from vomiting on daily basis :( I am in pain, regardless if I eat or not and I am actually eatling very little. So as you see I am stuck at least until mid January :(. So this is the update.    
I do have one question for you...
One thing caught my attention. In order to make an educated decision and be informed of all the consequences of removing or not the gallbladder, I asked my local GI what would be the  consequences of having e.g. a non functioning gallbaldder. In other words,What  if the fraction ejection is 0 or next to 0? What should we do? He said that we could leave the gallbladder there without a problem (in other words do not remove the organ). It would be just a "non functional organ"... So  my question for you is: Is that right? A non-functional gallbladder can be left alone whithout serious consequences/side effects? Thank you for taking time to answer my question.
Dear Dr Watters,

I am so tired. I have just come out of the hospital after spending 5 days there for acute pancreatitis. I am a 42 year old female who has been experiencing incredible pain for the last few months under both my ribs which is there constantly. Last Saturday the pain became so bad that I went to the ER because the burning pain in my upper abdominal region became too much for me to bear. I was diagnosed as suffering from acute pancreatitis and was hospitalised for 5 days. However because the pain was radiating towards my right side the doctors decided to do a HIDA scan. The scan shows an ejection fraction rate of 20% and the conclusion is 'The Poor Contractile response is consistent with acalculous cholecystitis or gall bladder dyskinesis. ??? Now from reading the posts I understand what Dyskinesis means but I am not sure what is meant by Acalculous cholecystitis ? Are these descriptions used interchangeably? The Gastroenterologist at the hospital now wants me to go through an edoscopy and possibly a colonscopy which I am booked to have on Thursday. I am also wondering whether pancreatitis and gall bladder issues that I am having are related.Can Dyskinesis & or Acalculous cholecystitis be related to pancreatitis? My doctor says he would like to wait and see but my gastro surgeon wanted to operate straight away. I am so tired of all this. I have come home and after having a small meal of boiled rice with yoghurt I have gone to the toilet several time within a span of 2 hours. I am exhausted and I feel so lost. I have a 6 year old son to look after. I would rather that my gall bladder be out then suffer from constant pain that feels like someone has stabbed me in my ribs. I belch all the time and I can feel bubbles rising inside my tummy so bad that you can actually hear them. Can you please please advise what should be the best thing to do please.

I will be very grateful to you.

Regards

Smita
I just had the hida scan 5 days ago, i had a bad reaction to the enzymes and later that night had severe pain in my upper right quadrant, right side, my back, and into my chest.  I have since seen my doctor and found out my gallbladders ejection factor is only 8 percent, i am scheduled to have it removed after the holidays.  I have been dealing with abdominal pain 24 years and I finally found a doctor that was able to give me a diagnosis.  I also suffer from gerd.
I have had the exact same experience, and ended up in emergency surgery since no one would do the Hida scan first which I asked for.  Nothing else showed gallstones or disfunctional gallbladder.  I lost so much weight and had migrane headaches for six months everyday.  I felt as if I was dying.  I finally ended up at a surgeon office demanding it to be taken out, and then in the ER, and they called him.  He admitted me right away, and did the surgery the next day.  It has been a difficult recovery since I was so sick prior for at least six months, and I am sixty years old. I had no choice since I was in serious pain and actually could not eat any more, since it would not digest.  I seriously felt like I was dying, and as sick as any terminal cancer patient. My primary physician at UCSD in San Diego, California was awful, and didn't help one bit.  I was on my own.
I was just diagnosed with biliary dyskenisia - I had a HIDA scan and my ejection fraction was 10%.  I am scheduled for surgery next week  As for weight gain...yes, I've been gaining weight non-stop.  I am a runner (I run 4 to 5 days a week and train for races - 5Ks up to half marathons) so I am definately healthy and should not be gaining weight, but losing it.  In the past month I gained 10 pds and no matter what I do I can't lose weight  Last year I weighed 128 pds I am now up to 146 (with continued running and exercise and healthy eating).  Other symptoms I have are bloating, gas, extreme pain in my right side all the time - I'm taking 3 ib profin every 4 hours so I can move and still exercise.  I'm tired all the time. I thought the fatique was from working full-time, taking care of 2 kids and training, but now I see gb disease causes fatique as well.  I also have right shoulder pain (esp. when I run) and a hard time breathing.  I'm hoping after surgery I can finally lose this weight, feel better and start training for my upcoming half marathon.
Hi, turtlelah,  I had weighed 145 and now am down ten pounds but actually should weight 150.  I have been trying to gain weight for over a year.  My HIDA scan ejection number is 14, and I have been diagnosed with biliary dyskinesian.  I follow a low-fat diet to help my gall bladder to digest food which (I think) helps prevent my nausea.  HOW ARE YOU GAINING WEIGHT???  Are you eating avocado, cheese, nuts, oils, and fried foods or just what?  Thank you.  
Dr Waters
first thank you for the help you have given to evryone on this blog.  I have read it for years and you have even responded to me in tha past.  I have had right sided pain in my back for many years(in gall bladder area). However the pain is never severe (maybe 5-6 at most) but cronic and after 12 years is affecting quality of life.  Is often brought on by twisting torso (swinging golf club, exercise) but not always.  May be related to eating but not always either.  Also I often have extreme bloating with the pain & also sometimes belching. 4 HEPA exams 2006 55%; 2007 22%; 2009 33%; Jan 2013 5% but pain never reproduced during any HEPA. In 06 had GB empting study & no bile flow after Kinevac injection. Many Ultra Sounds but never any stones.  CT scans and many other tests normal. Over years several Dr's have suggested Biliary Dyskinesia.  Now with last HEDA so low am being strongly urged to have the gall bladder removed ASAP.  On this quick summary of the facts (particularly no pain with HEDA and pain not overly severe as most) would you agree GB most likely culpret and agree with the recommended removal.  Thanks in advance for reply
dpatten
I have been having several symptoms for the past 5 months now, including: it started with diarrhea and a burning, gnawing pain in upper abdomen every morning. The diarrhea subsided after 3-4 days but the burning continued. When eating, I would suddenly feel very full after just a few bites, and often like something was going to get stuck in my esophagus. I experienced bloating and excessive burping any time I ate. All these symptoms were accompanied by pain or at least a nagging ache in my right side under my ribs. At times it was in my back, and when it was really bad, the pain was through my entire mid back region. There were at least 2 occasions when the pain was so intense in my right back  and ribs I was brought to tears. My Dr put me on Nexium for reflux treatment and the burning and the feeling of esophageal discomfort have subsided but the pains continued. (About 6 years ago I had an upper endoscopy and they found a very mild hiatal hernia and very mild gastritis.) Since several women in my family had their gall bladders out, my Dr looked into that as well. Ultra sound was fine, but HIDA scan showed that my ejection fraction rate was 1.4%. My Dr very casually suggested removal of the gall bladder, since it basically doesn't work. I have my consult with a surgeon in 3 weeks, but after reading some of these boards I wonder is there any danger of this gall bladder worsening or becoming septic since it doesn't work? Should I be following a particular diet as well? My Dr did not really explain things or go into details but she said take it out because it doesn't work and then you'll feel better. That's about it. I live with some sort of back pain (especially in the mid back) every day and it seems I can at least feel something (a fullness if not a pain under my right ribs.)
Any suggestions or information you could provide me with would be very much appreciated. Thank you!
you need to get the hida scan and h-pylori test you might need your gb removed drs try to play that crazy stuff with me do not go see the funny farm dr if you know you are normal also get some prilosec but do not see a funny farm dr go to a gi specialist ok get the hida scan with chemical and get blood test for h-pylori if it is positive do the course 2 times as you may had it for a long tim i did and i still have to get my gb taken out places try to send me to funny farm because they dont believe me so forget that see anotther dr and another till you get the 2 test i siad done ok if your gb fraction is less then 40 remove it, im 44 and had this crap since 1999 before that so called gerd but i think all along i needed it out my mom had hers out when shes was like 20 and i was 4 years old but please keep trying a new dr till you get one that works with you and not againts you i had to repot one dr who denied my surgery that i needed he said you dont need it i said did you look at my hida scan cd he said no, i said so how do you know i dont need surgery? i was suppose to make an appontment when i was ready to get it cuz i was scared so i went to Guam he said i needed it urr long story but i think gerd and h-pylori and gb disfuntion are all linking to each other
Also do an h-pylori test i had all those problems when i was young, acid reflux then they said gerd, but i think if i was diagnosed when i was young it wouldn't led to h-pylori and since 1999 i had gb problems i knew it but the drs couldn't find it, it does not show up on mri or ultra sound it will show up hida scan get that and check for h-pylori if that is positive take the meds double course do one course when finshed repeat it so you can kill all the crap that messed you up since you were 16 like me and then get a scope in your tummy test for cancer then do the hida scan if you have a low fraction get it removed lower then 40% mine is at 26 i been suffering since i was young now im 44 so all that time being pusshed to one dr to the next oh its gerd yeah ok well it was alot of stuff so please get those things i told you also take prilosec in the morning when you wake up every day
oh and take acai berry pills white and purple lable that will help and water now i dont like water so that could be a factor eat salad with shrimp and eat good food do not eat junk food or fried foods
I have been dealing with this for 11/2 years, got really bad in the last 5 months, lost 23 pounds.
I have almost constant stomach/ chest pain, pain in Lower right rib cage that radiates to my back/right shoulder.
Sometimes feels like I swallowed a bone..when the pain gets bad, I get short of breath, my hands go
Ice cold, I sweat and get rapid heart beat. I feel dizzy most of the time. I wake up with right occipital headache
that radiates to my right eye almost every morning. I also get night sweats.
I had 2 endoscopes, colonoscopy, CT SCAN of chest/ abd/pelvis, had 2 ultrasounds, brain MRI,
saw neurologist, rheumatologist, had full cardiac work up, ruled out pheochromocytoma, carcinoid tumor.
Had HIDA scan 1 1/2 year ago, blood test...everything comes back negative, except the endoscopy showed mild
Gastritis both times. My stomach is so tender I can barely touch it.
I'm about to repeat the HIDA scan in 3 days. If it comes back negative, I really don't know what to do after this.
The only other background I can give you is that when 1 1/2 years ago everything came back negative, I had a parasite test and came back with Blastocystis Hominis, I took a round of Flagyl and I was feeling normal in 3 days
And was fine until 5 months ago. I did take antiprotozal medication again Tinidazole, Nitazoxanide, even tried
Diflucan in case it was candida...not better. My last parasite test came back negative.
I have been an acupuncturist for 20 years, so I'm drinking an herbal brew to calm inflammation in liver, gallbladder and stomach, it is helping, stopped my pain from being constant but still comes back after meals.
I have been on Dexilant for a month with no improvement.
Wondering if this sounds like anything to you and what other tests would you recommend?
Any insight would be much appreciated!

I was advised a couple of years ago I have pancreatitis. It was found during an eus to look for gall stones at that time. Polyps were found & I go periodically to have them removed. I had an attack last week that my DR said was text book gall bladder symptoms. My blood work was all normal including my pancreatic. (I take creon currently) I had an ultrasound done & no stones or abnormalities (small amount of fatty liver only) were found. I am having a HIDA scan tuesday & my surgeon has prepared me he expects to remove my gall bladder.  I am curious if it is possible if the pancreatitis could have been caused by an ongoing gall bladder issue?  I havent had the massive pain of pancreatitis, mainly mild pain & discomfort occasionally. I went gluten free and discovered I am intolerant there also.
I am wondering what the chances are that the gall bladder could be the main source. Also if it is will the pancreas go back to normal?
I sense that I am missing some of your history since one does not simply undergo an EUS to look for gallstones without a significant history. Also, this is generally not a method to detect pancreatitis. In the US, 95% of pancreatitis is caused by either gallbladder disease or alcohol consumption. The remaining 5% is a collection of medical issues or medication sources. In the absence of an alcohol history, surgeons generally advocate cholecystectomy for patients with recurrent pancreatitis. It is thought that many of these form either small stones or sludge that passes down the duct, causing the pancreatitis.
How have you been since surgery?  Pain gone away?  Weight loss possible again?
Hello, I had severe gall bladder pain on and off for about 18 months. I had a HIDA which showed about 25% ejection rate.
I have used gall bladder flushes by Hulda Clark, and also done alot of juicing.On evenings where I could feel a bit of pain starting up, I drink hot water with ginger powder and sweetened with honey or stevia.  Fresh lemon juice in hot water is also helpful.
One thing that helped immensely was LYMPHATIC massage, by a trained professional.  Within hours the symptoms would go away for up to a week or more, and eventually they were gone for months.  In combination with the above treatments, I consulted with a professional homeopath and continue to be under his care.  I can now eat popcorn, butter, olive oil, and even bacon.  I watch it and don't eat alot of these foods at once, but I have to say I am very happy with my progress. I am an advocate of JUICING, watch "FatSickandNearlyDead" film and that website.  It has helped me alot in this area.  
I have heard from several people that they continue to have pains after surgery, I believe that this is NOT addressing the core issue, simply pulling  out the complaining organ.  I am committed to keeping my gall bladder. I believe that part of the issue is the lymph system.  
yes especially at night
Hi Dr Watters,

I have been having issues for about a year now.  I had an EDG which showed gastritis and erosive esophagitis (sp?) and a CT scan which showed a hiatal hernia, too.  Ultrasounds and bloodwork were negative pertaining to my gallbladder.  My HIDA scan last year came back at 30% which I realize is on the low end but not extremely low either.  I have right upper quad pain and a pain in my back below the shoulder blade, nausea after eating, shortness of breath, heart rate above 100 many days, gas/indigestion and bloating, neck pain, left sided upper quad pain, fatigue and diarrhea after eating fatty foods.  I can't drink alcohol anymore without having exaggerated symptoms for weeks.   I had a baby Feb 2011 and my symptoms started about a year after.
My GI Dr is on the fence about removal b/c it's at 30%.  What would your recommendation be?  
I had my gallbladder removed 2 months ago and i'm still having the same symptoms as before. The burning isn't as bad though. I can't seem to eat a normal amount of food three times a day. I need to gain at least 6 pounds back. Please help. The symptoms slowly started happening around early march and really got bad in june/july. The burning sensation started the last week of june when I was in Belgium. I ate a lot of chocolate and ice cream. I was diagnosed with mild stomach irritation in august and has been on omeprazole 20 mg twice a day since the middle of october. I was put on sucralfate before and I had bad burning with that medicine
Hello Dr. Watters,
My question is if one has biliary dyskinesia (HIDA Scan showed EF of 11%) can this elevate my cholesterol level?
Hello Dr. Watters,

I am wondering if my 8 year old son is having gallbladder issues.  Every time he eats he has pain on the right side.  Right after he eats he's always in the bathroom with diarrhea.  He has had a CT scan, ultrasound and bloodwork to rule out appendicitis last weekend.  Everything came back ok.

Last year I was diagnosed with biliary dyskinesia and I had my gallbladder taken out July 2013. My son's symptoms remind me of how I was before my diagnosis.
Hi dr. Watters,
I hope u can give me some advice. My husband who is 59, not over weight and goes to the gym at least 4 days a week (when feeling good) has been suffering with stomach issues for at least 25 years. His symptoms are intermittent bouts of stomach pain with dry heaving (never actually vomit)
Diarrhea and or constipation...these episodes occur 2 to 4 times per week and last from 15 to 60 minutes.... He usually feels better after he poops. But then he is exhausted from the episode and needs to go to bed. The gastro doctor referred us to a surgeon and he had his hiatal hernia repaired but the symptoms were still there. A year later he had over a foot of his lower colon removed from severe diverticulitis and we thought for sure that the symptoms would be gone but 1 week after surgery they reappeared even worse than before!!!! So upsetting:(!
I started searching the internet and asked the doctor if it could be his gall bladder and he said no. I asked if it could be his liver, spleen or pancreous and he said no.... After numerous endoscopies, cat scans, colonoscopies , radio active meal tests and I'm sure I left some tests out that I can't remember any more I insisted to our gastro that my suspicion is the gall bladder and I asked for a HIDA scan and low and behold it is functioning 0 to 4%....but weirdly enough he did not feel any discomfort at all during the 3 hour test.... The tech was surprised that he felt absolutely no nausea or discomfort at all.
We went to the gastro this morning to go over the results and he is recommending him back to the surgeon .... FYI the hernia surgery was about 16 months ago and the colon surgery was done just this past April 2014. So now 4 months later we r talking Abt gall bladder removal surgery!!!
I asked the doctor if he thinks that removing the gall bladder will put an end to his symptoms and he really believes that it will so I asked what percent chance do u think and he said over 50% chance that the gall bladder surgery will cure him..... Well gee..... Over 50% chance isn't so reassuring to me but we r still making an appointment with the same surgeon dr. Divino at Mount Sinai hosp in manhattan... What do u think?? Do u think its a possibility that this surgery will put this to an end??
Can u email my personal email with ur thoughts? I would really appreciate it!!
***@****
Hi. Last year I had a distended stomach, weight gain of 18 lbs in a month and severe upper and lower abdominal pain. They ran blood tests, I had cancer scare, ultrasound, ct scan and finally a HIDA scan. The GE told me my GB was working fine at 50%. I was basically told I was nuts and just said its IBS and my esophagus issue. It's been a year now. I have had the same pain on a daily basis since the very beginning of this. I gave up and I suffer daily. I get horrible attacks that last 2 to 3 days, I get nauseated and can't eat. I have finally got sick of still feeling this way, and this attack I am going through at the moment, I made an appointment to get checked. The scary part is that This time my entire back especially my lower back has totally debilitated me. I have to try to function without showing my agony. Has anyone ever had that type of back pain during a gallbladder attack?
I am 32, and been having horrible stomach problems since fall of 2014. I'll try to keep this short. Pains got so bad one night,I had to go to ER. Dr's didn't know what was wrong, did a CT, and blood work and it was normal. I was told to follow up with a gynecologist. I have have polycystic ovarian, so they thought maybe it was a flare up. Gyno did an exploritory surgery for endometriosis, that was normal. Back to family dr, now it's beginning of 2015, and I am extremely sick. Kidney function was starting to decrease. I was in hospital (ER) 3-4 times a week, with server pains and severely dehydrated. I couldn't hardly eat(if at all),or drink anything due to the intense pains, just hurt too bad. Lots more of labs, CT and ultrasound were done all "normal". My acid reflux started to bother me more than usual, was sent to a GI dr. The GI dr done upper and lower scope, those were also "normal", but was told I have H-pylori. (But everything is "normal"?) Was on meds for the H-yplori, but never had a recheck. At this point I'm being told they are not sure what is wrong with me, and that I have IBS (none of the meds seemed to help). After another normal ultrasound, GI dr ordered a HIDA scan (this was done 1 week ago). The results of the scan showed my gallbladder is only functioning at 1%, I have to have it removed. A few months ago, I also learned that I have a sigmoid redundant colon. I found this out myself by, reading results from one of my CT scans. I asked the GI dr about it. He didn't have much too say, except that it could be causing my pain, and he wasn't too sure about it. So, my questions, Does the sigmoid colon have anything to do with the gallbladder not functioning fully? With having a bad gallbladder, what else can go wrong/be affected?  What can it lead to?
I have a consultation with a surgeon in a couple week, should I mention the sigmoid colon to the surgeon, or just focus on the gallbladder?

Thanks for taking time to read this.

-Jenni
Hi Jenni, did you ever figure out your gallbladder issues? My GB is only functioning at 9% and my doc sent me to a surgeon for GB removal. Btw, I've been feeling terrible for about two years, so I was actually happy to find this out because I thought it would solve my probrlm(s): pain under rib cage, silent acid reflux (which led to sleep apnea - but doesn't happen anymore because I basically stop eating at around 3-4 in the afternoon). Anyhow, surgeon was a bit reluctant to remove my GB because it "looks" fine, even though the HIDA scan with CCK showed the EF at only 9%. He said my GB is not dangerous, meaning that there isn't a risk for stones getting caught, rupture, etc. I am in so much pain and discomfort that I basically told him I just want to have it removed and I'll take the chance that a cholecystectomy might not help. Because right now I am 100% miserable. I am upset that he basically made me feel like this is some type of elective surgery after my doc said my gallbladder NEEDS to be removed. I'm wondering if you ended up having surgery and what the outcome was (is). Sorry, but I don't have any info on sigmoid colon issues.

Thanks,
Carla
I'm glad I found this forum as well. Like most everyone on here, I've been researching my symptoms. About a year ago I had an endoscopy which showed ulcers on my esophagus, hiatal hernia which was causing me to have terrible acid reflux/nausea. The Dr put me on carafate, which supposedly coats the ulcers to allow them to heal and prilosec twice a day. I watch my diet and stay away from fatty, spicy, or acedic foods. No caffeine,  etc... I've been told I have IBS. January of this year I wound up in the hospital with horrible nausea, bad constipation,  gas, indigestion, bloating  (I looked like I was 6 months pregnant ), and extreme pain right side of abdomen,  under my ribs. They were sharp, stabbing pains. But sometimes the pain feels more like cramps. I have had a polyp on my gallbladder for several years that the Dr's have been watching with yearly ultrasounds. In the hospital,  they did another ultrasound, but it had not grown to the point where the Dr thought it necessary to remove my gallbladder. Although,  the Dr keeps telling me that eventually I'll need to get my gallbladder removed. The CT scan showed an intestinal blockage due to the constipation and Dr thought this was what  my main problem was. So since mid-January I have been eating as much fiber as possible, take miralax with every glass of water I drink, have done two cleanses, milk of magnesia, magnesium citrate, apple juice, prune juice, suppositories, Metamucil,  etc... everything I can think of to help with constipation,  but I'm still not regular by a long shot. I even take the Lanzess (new medication that has been out for IBS with constipation). I still deal with almost constant nausea, pain, and all the other symptoms. They all seem worse after I try to eat, even though I'm trying to stay on a pretty bland diet. I live off of Phenergan for nausea and Bentyl for the pain it seems like. I just got the results back from my hydascan test -it showed gallbladder was only functioning at 23%; however, I didn't have reproductive symptoms during the test. They also said I had, what they said was "mild" Enterogastric reflux in my stomach. From my understanding, the liver produces bile and it goes to the gallbladder and breaks down the food before it is digested. Somehow, some of the bile gets into my stomach which causes this reflux along with the other yucky acid reflux I already deal with.  To me it makes sense to take my gallbladder out. If it's only functioning at 23%, then is it possible that is why some of the bile is getting in my stomach, because the gallbladder is not functioning correctly? I have to talk to my Dr next week to discuss options,  but I'm so tired of feeling so yucky, and if sooner or later I will need to have gallbladder removed because of the polyp... just take it out now, you know? Even if my 23% functioning is not an emergency by no means, but something has got to give! I just tried to eat some mashed potatoes and I now have the pain under my rib cage, right side, that seems to be going back to under my shoulder and in my back. What would you do if you were me? I've heard stories that having gallbladder removed was the best thing they'd ever done, they felt like a new person, etc. But I've also heard a few stories where even after the removal, some people still had symptoms and problems?? Any thoughts,  suggestions would be appreciated.