Gallbladder Community

biliary dyskinesia

I have biliary dyskinesia with an ejection fraction of 23%. I am on a very low fat diet and I eat very little dairy or wheat.I have become very skinny since this began-- about 2 years ago. My symptoms include stomach pain that moves all over my stomach area after almost every meal, but especially dinner, nausea, bloating, gas, intestinal pain, sore throat, sometimes a feeling of heaviness/pain at my sternum, but I do not have upper right quadrant pain. Isn't that the most common gallbladder problem symptom? The doctors suggest surgery, but I don't understand why it would be helpful to remove an at least partly functioning gallbladder? I understand why removing the gallbladder might help relieve pain in the gallbladder area if the gallbladder is irritated, but how will removal help with my symptoms? And, why will removing the gallbladder help reduce the the overabundance of acid in my stomach? Nobody has been able to answer these questions for me, and thus, I've refused surgery and have been getting acupuncture instead for the past 6 months. I'm flirting with the idea of surgery again because I'm not sure that acupuncture is going to be able to heal the problem. It hasn't so far, but it has helped to relieve some symtoms. I would be very grateful if you can help answer my questions, and I am open to any suggestions you have to offer.

Sincerly, amy
I was also diagnosed with biliary dyskinesia, and had all of those symptoms plus the right-sided pain. But I also have GERD w/Hiatal hernia, and that can also produce the symptoms that you listed. Have you been tested for GERD or had a PH study or endoscopy done? If not, I would get it done before having your gallbladder removed.

Are you intolerant to wheat and the casein in the diary? Are you celiac?
An ejection fraction below 30% is something to be concerned about regarding your gallbladder.  You may find your symptoms go away with gallbladder surgery - but maybe not.  For whatever reason, your gallbladder isn't functioning the way it should.  Some patients have what is called "referred" pain.  All that means is that pain from a given medical condition shows up somewhere that is not typical.  For example, when my appendix went south on me, my pain was in the upper abdomen (epigastric) area instead of the lower right pelvic area.  Referred pain makes a condition much more difficult to diagnose.

If your docs are telling you to have your gallbladder removed, I think that is a reasonable suggestion.
My husband has the symptoms coba37 described (nausea, sore throat, chest heaviness/tightness, plus: diarrhea immediately after eating but not always, dry eyes, fatigue). This is interesting b/c we haven't seen anyone else with the sore throat and chest thing.

He has been seeing various doctors. Mostly they were concentrating on the chest heaviness looking for asthma/lung problem. Also have investigated allergies but not come up with anything yet. Had chest x-ray. Also PFT but results not back yet.

The difference is that he already had his gallbladder removed several years ago and the symptoms have come and gone for all this time but more consistently in the last 2 months. It's been on all his medical forms but no doctor has mentioned gallbladder related issues at all. He is frustrated b/c he takes great care of himself, eating well, no smoking, regular exercise. Any thoughts are welcome!
My husband justrecently got diagnosed with this condition. Has anyone else had this diagnosis given after a hyda scan? Another question....What are some helpful hints on food that are low and fat and ones in which he should avoid?
I have!  

In fact, the Hida Scan is the only thing that saved me!  My ejection fraction was 18%.  After an ERG and colonocopy to rule anything else out, I had my GB removed.  During surgery it was discovered that the fluid surrounding my GB was gone and it was literally peeled off of my liver.  I do not know what would have happened if I had waited and tried to manage the situation with a modified diet.  

I am happy to hear that he was able to have a hida scan!  I fought with several physicians before my test was ordered.  Because I did not have stones (as evident in my ultrasound), it was determined that the source of my symptoms was something other than my GB.  

You can have gall bladder disease without the presence of stones.  

I am one week post surgery, and still recovering.  It is a tough road, but I am happy to have found some answers.

Hang in there!