Gallbladder Community

prilosec after gallbladder removal?

Have any of you taken prilosed type drugs after gallbladder removal---I started taking it because I feel like I have reflux and still have bouts of nausea---I have been on it for 5 days---I still get a bit of nausea and diahrrea---has this helped anyone? I was diagnosed with biliary dyskenesia---no gallstones---and I had the reflux (with no pain) before the surgery too---have had endoscope(showed mild inflammation)---CT scan (negative)---ultrasound(negative)----myriad of blood work for pancreatic and liver enzymes(negative)----x-rays of chest, neck back(showed artritis and some spinal degeneration)---has anyone else kept the nausea after surgery? and if so, did drugs like prilosec help?
I had to take an antacid type prescription drug for one month after the surgery... it definately helped, after the month my surgein took me off it... now i use Zantac or Nexium if needed... You have to give everything time, i had same issue as you before surgery no stones and my surgeon and GI have both told me could take up to a year before the body settles... you are really still early post surgery, you have to give it time, they removed an organ that has been there your whole life... dont stress about it, you will onloy feel worse, just be comforted to know each day you will start to feel better.
This is day 6 for being on the prilosec and I still wake up nauseated-----how long did it take for the antacid drug to work? Did it take some time to regain your appetite? I eat but have not gained any weight back and I eat small meals---feel almost as bad some days as before the surgery---have had a few days with no nausea but only about 4 days out of two weeks---it is worse in morning and gets better by evening-----was this the same for you?
The antacid pills took about a week to kick in and they helped...I still got nauseous in the morning but not as bad.  I didnt eat a think for 10 days after after my surgery... then i slowly started eating crackers, toasts, oatmeal, rice..you slowly have to reintroduce the things that harder on your digestion system, you cant just hop right back into eating everything takes time, and to this day I still cant eat red meat or pork, fried foods, fatty foods ( i do sometimes but i know i am going to be bloated and get some pain so i mostly stay away from it) and alcohol forget it, it totally gives me bad indigestion everytime i try.  Like I said this is all new for your system and you are only a couple of weeks out, you still have quite the road to go, so try not to stress about it you wont be doing yourseld any good doing that will only make things worse.
I went to my doctor yesterday and he told me to take 2 prilosec instead of 1 and to take carafate before meals---did you lose some weight---I have lost 10 pounds in a month and a half because I hardly eat because of the nausea---I truly eat very little fat---grits, oatmeal, turkey sandwiches, broccoli, broiled fish, baked potato-----
also dr. is doing small bowel study this week and a colonoscopy in 4 weeks----
so when you were at my stage 2 weeks and 3 days, you still had some issues with nausea? I also have bile diahrrea every morning but not throughout the day...
Thats good hopefully that helps... try and stay away from gassy vegetables and fruits that have alot of acid for now... broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, apples etc... just until your body settles down.... My nausea got better after about 10 days... but that was after my IV fluids at emerge from dehydration.... to this day every now and then i get really bad nausea in the morning, I have been lucky and never had the bile diarrhea, did you ask about the fibre supplements?  Thats what my surgeon and GI both recommended.  I lost all my weight before and just after my surgery... I have put 10 lbs back on since, but i really needed to as i got down to 99 lbs after my surgery and im 5'4...in total i lost 44 lbs from being so sick.... i had the small bowel follow through and colonoscopy after as well, i devleoped IBS of course....Keep us posted on your results.
Thanks for answering---I almost can't help stressing about this because the nausea is terrible---night time is better but I can't work with this nausea---I can't believe you lost 44 pounds---and you are already thin like me---I guess I need to really eat light---no chicken or fish even---what fiber supplement did you take? was the small bowel test bad? I have had CT scan, abdominal ultrasound, endoscopy, HIDA and it still seems like something else must be wrong---literally, I never feel like eating except sometimes around dinner I feel hungry---how long after gallbladder surgery was your colonoscopy done?
I understand totally, but stress can also upset your stomach and cause pains.. each day you will start to feel better hopefully.  Once i started eating, chicken and fish were good, just couldnt do red meat and pork and still cant... My small bowel follow thorugh and colonoscopy were both in June... they are both easy tests just the prep ***** for colonoscopy and the the small bowel is easy but the stuff you have to drink is nasty!!!  Mine were both fine except i had some inflammation and been diagnoded with IBS...i still to this day get pains if i eat the wrong things or to much of something i shouldnt, thats why i am just telling you to be patient and take it day by day... those two tests will give you some insight if there is something else going on, so hopefully you will get some answrrs... lets us know how it goes.
Thanks for the answer---I know I need to eat more lightly right now---because I have reflux and nausea despite the prilosec and carafate---it is definitely worse in the morning ---I sure hope those tests don't show something bad---each time they test me,, I feel afraid---how lond after your gallbladder surgery did they do the colonoscopy?---my doctor is waiting 5 more weeks---he is doing the small bowel test tomorrow--he sys he is concerned because I have lost 10 pounds in a short time---well---I don't eat hardly anything because I feel nauseated much of the time---it usually gets a bit bettr by evening---truly, I believe this is just as difficult mentally as it is physically---when was your actual surgery?---I have two friends here who suffered similar things----nausea mostly---perhaps now that I take two prilosec instead of one(started yesterday) it will begin to lessen the nausea---please stay in touch---it really helps--
Hi---I am now four weeks post op---I had three good days last week with little nausea--but yesterday was bad---I didn't go off my diet---just had a lot of nausea---I forgot to mention---I have some pain under my left shoulder blade which sometimes radiates into my left ribcage---I actually had this pain before my gastro symptoms for about 5 years-----it scares me because I think of pancreas issues but have had the CT scan and my pancreatic enzymes were fine---
I think each week will get better... do you see your surgeon or doctor again soon?  
I am now 4 weeks post surgery---I do have some better days but still feel off and still get periods of nausea---don't have much appetite although sometimes feel empty and need to eat---find protein shakes work well---I am now on carafate in addition to the prilosec---my small bowel test came back normal---they ran new bllodwork Friday but I haven't gotten the results and also did x-rays on my left shoulder blade and ribs where I experience pain---I have had this pain on and off for 5 years but never with GI symptoms----people on another site have said they had some of these pains--my endoscope did show inflammation so I guess I have gastritis too---did you have these pains during your recovery? I just thought I would check in because I haven't spoken with you in awhile and your posts really help me---thanks --