Abdominal pain

My husband has been having moderate abdominal pain since Sunday night after a BM. He went to the ER where they did a CT scan and bloodwork (WBC, RBC, electrolytes, etc), in which everything was normal. He was discharged home. He was taking prednisone 10mg TID since that Saturday am (now d/c), so the hospital thought maybe the pain was due to the steroids. However, now being Thursday, he's still in pain. He said the pain was a 10 on Monday, and is now a 6. He has not had diarrhea, nausea or vomiting at all, and no fever.
He says the pain gets more intense after eating. He also used to have abdominal pain after eating for over a year, and he said the pain is the same as that pain, however, it's constant now, and in the past, it would come and then go away. He said it moves around his abdomen, to the center, left, and right, but predominates on the right side.
All of the 'traditional' GI issues have been ruled out with the CT scan (appendicitis, pancreatitis, gallstones, obstructions, etc even kidney infections and stones as UA was clear). I wonder if anyone out there knows what else this might be. He is currently on Bentyl and Nexium from the PCP, and has a GI appointment today. I'm just very concerned that the GI doc will not find anything since the 'traditional' GI issues were ruled out. Any help is appreciated
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Have they looked at his appendix?  I had the same type of thing.  My stomach hurt off and on for about a week or so.  The pain was in the top and more all over in the stomach - not at all localized int eh right side.  The only reason I went to the docs was to get an excuse for work.  I'm glad I did.  My WBC were very high and they did an ultrasound and said I had an appendicitis.  I went straight to the hospital.  Hung around a while went for another ultrasound and they said I was fine, but I was already admitted and they kept me.  3 am I went in for surgery.  I remeber very little after.  I was hopitalized for a week.  I was sick as I have ever been in my life.  I was vomiting black and couldn't get out of bed for days.  Not to mention the huge incision up and down my stomach.  So he should definitely make sure.  Even iof they say one thing is okay - they could be wrong.  Good luck
Helpful - 0
Thanks for commenting. They did look at his appendix, and said everything was fine. WBC were normal, along with no fever. He also was on Bentyl, Prednisone, and Levaquin, and the pain still persisted, so GI ruled out any infections (saying all the meds would've killed any infection) The GI doc he saw Thurs palpitated his abdomen, and said it was very tender. He has an endo and colo on Monday, so I really hope they find something wrong. If anyone else has comments, I'd really be appreciatative. Thanks
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem