Abdominal upper right quadrant pain, just below ribs

I too have upper right quad pain just below my ribs. I am a male, 46yrs old 6ft and weigh 175 lbs. My pain comes and goes and has for about 6 months. It is not severe pain, but at times is more annoying than anything. It feels like there is something in there pinching me. I went to an internal med MD in July. He ran blood tests that all came back fine. He sent me to have an abdominal ultrasound which showed only "healthy" organs. No dilated bile duct, no gall stones, liver enzymes were in normal range. It is 4 months later and the pain is still happening. When I sit, or bend at the waist, I can feel the pain. It is not a deep, internal pain, but seems close to the surface, just to the right of that little cartlidge/bone that splits the rib cage...just to the right of the stomach. What the heck could it be? My MD put me on Nexium, thinking maybe it is peptic in nature, but 60 days of Nexium and still the pain persists. I am freaking out because my dad passed away this past March due to a rare appendix cancer (pseudomixoma peritonei) that several MD's could not find, nor diagnose properly once they found it, another story in itself...so you know how the paranoia sets in. I don't have a lot of faith in MD's right now. Anyone out there have any input? Can the liver be screwed up for this long and still avoid being detected? Can inflamation be detected by ultrasound? It feels like it's burning, not like heartburn, but a firey sensation...hard to describe. Someone, please help me settle my fly away brain...thanks.
bman and all!,
Just wanted to let you know that YOU are on the right track!  I just got out of the hospital!  I was freaking out about having to have my gallblatter removed!  My sister and daughter begged me profusley not to take the hidascan.  The did an ultrsound, cat scan and 2 xrays and found nothing concusive. My pain today is about a 3 and I begged to be released form the hospital so I could do the flax seed drink you descrived and other remidies!  My sister and daughter were researching all night long for me and told me what I need to do!  I just started getting the pains on Monday, I never had any previous symptoms...it hit me like a brick, so I am confidant by doing these things I can heal myself...after spending 3 days in the hospital watching tv I noticed that all they play on tv are commercials for fast food....Wendys just came out with a new burger that has 3 peices of meat and 6 pieces of bacon,,,guys if you eat this ****...you will be sick!!  I am off to go boil my flax seeds....thanks again and you are right on!!!!!
I'm a new poster but found this article just posted above written by Chris Woolston, M.S. to be very helpful even though I do not agree with everything in the Action To Take sections and felt it may help some of the posters here. Good luck. Never give up your pursuit of good health!

I did not have enough space to add this info to the posting.
Chris Woolston is a health and medical writer with a master's degree in biology. He is a contributing editor at Consumer Health Interactive, and was the staff writer at Hippocrates, a magazine for physicians. He has also covered science issues for Time Inc. Health, WebMD, and the Chronicle of Higher Education. His reporting on occupational health earned him an award from the northern California Society of Professional Journalists.

The References for his article are here:
American Academy of Family Physicians. Self-care on Familydoctor.org. Abdominal pain, acute.
American Academy of Family Physicians. Self-care on Familydoctor.org. Abdominal pain, chronic
DeBanto JR et al. What could be causing chronic abdominal pain? Postgraduate Medicine. September 1999. 106(3) 141-146.
Kelso LA and M Kugelmas. Nontraumatic abdominal pain. AACN Clinical Issues. 1997. 8(3): 437-448.
Symptoms :  Intense pain in the lower right side of the abdomen, possibly starting as a vague, uncomfortable feeling around the navel. You may also have nausea, vomiting, or a slight fever.

Possible Causes: Appendicitis

Action to Take: Go to an emergency room right away.

___
Symptoms : Severe pain that starts in the upper abdomen and often spreads to the sides and the back. The pain may flare up soon after a large meal, or six to 12 hours after an episode of heavy drinking. You may also have nausea, vomiting, fever, yellowish skin, and a racing heartbeat.

Possible cause: Pancreatitis

Action to Take: Call 911 or go to an emergency room right away. Acute pancreatitis can cause shock, which may result in death if not treated quickly.
_____
Symptoms : Extremely sharp abdominal pain, perhaps with other acute symptoms.

Possible Causes:
*Pelvic inflammatory disease
*Heart attack
*Perforated stomach ulcer
*Shock, from allergy
*Diabetic emergency
*Poisoning

Action to Take: Call 911 or go to an emergency room right away.

_____
Symptoms : Pain in upper right side of abdomen; may spread to right upper back, chest, or right shoulder; nausea; vomiting; or gas.

Possible Causes: Gallstones

Action to Take: If this is your first attack, call a doctor for emergency advice. If you can't reach one, go to an emergency room. Don't eat or drink anything.

____
Symptoms : In a woman who might be pregnant: severe pain that arises suddenly in the lower right or lower left abdomen, usually without vomiting or fever.

Possible Causes: Ectopic pregnancy

Action to Take: Call the doctor for a prompt appointment. If you experience severe abdominal pain or bleeding, call 911 or go to the emergency room right away.

_____
Symptoms : Moderate to severe cramps that wax and wane, or occasional cramps that flare up after meals, and vomiting, especially if the vomit smells like stool. Other possible signs include watery or ribbon-like stools, or no stools at all.

Possible Causes: Intestinal obstruction

Action to Take: Go to the emergency room right away.

____
Symptoms : Pain or tenderness in the lower left side of the abdomen, along with fever. You may also have nausea, vomiting, chills, stomach cramps, and either constipation or diarrhea.

Possible Causes: Diverticulitis

Action to Take: See a doctor immediately. If you have sharp abdominal pain along with fever, chills, swelling, or nausea and vomiting, call 911 or go to an emergency room right away. You may have peritonitis, a life-threatening infection of the abdominal cavity.

_____
Symptoms : Chronic abdominal pain along with dark urine and yellowish skin and eyes.

Possible Causes: Viral hepatitis

Action to Take: See a doctor promptly.

_____
Symptoms : Pain in the back that usually spreads under the rib cage, around the front, and into the groin.

Possible Causes: Kidney stones

Action to Take: See a doctor promptly.
_____
Symptoms : Searing, stabbing pain in the upper abdomen; pain in the back between the shoulder blades; pain under the right shoulder; nausea, vomiting, and indigestion.

Possible Causes: Gallstones or an infection of the gallbladder

Action to Take: See your doctor promptly. If you also experience sweating, chills, and fever, see a doctor right away.
____
Symptoms : Chronic abdominal pain in the upper right quadrant, along with a fever, sore throat, and extreme fatigue.

Possible Causes: Mononucleosis or other viral infection

Action to Take: See a doctor promptly. In addition to taking medications, you'll need to get plenty of rest.

____
Symptoms : Bloody stools or bleeding from the rectum. In some cases, abdominal pain.

Possible Causes: Bleeding hemorrhoids, colon polyps, or (rarely) colorectal cancer. (Hemorrhoids and polyps rarely cause abdominal pain.)

Action to Take: See a doctor promptly.

____
Symptoms : In a woman: dull, constant pain in the lower abdomen along with vaginal discharge and fever.

Possible Causes: Pelvic inflammatory disease

Action to Take: See a doctor promptly.

_____
Symptoms : Dull, gnawing stomach pain that comes and goes. The pain is often worse when the stomach is empty and goes away after eating. You may also have indigestion, nausea, vomiting, heartburn, gas, and dark stools.

Possible Causes:
*Stomach ulcer (peptic ulcer)
*Gastritis (inflammation of the stomach lining)

Action to Take: Take an antacid or acetaminophen if necessary, but avoid aspirin, ibuprofen, and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Don't drink alcohol or smoke. If pain persists or quickly comes back, see your doctor. Call 911 or go an emergency room right away if you throw up blood or anything that looks like coffee grounds; if you feel faint, chilly, or sweaty; if you have black or bloody stools, or if you feel lightheadness, as if you would faint. See a doctor right away if you have sharp back pain with ulcer symptoms.
_____
Symptoms : Frequent burning pain in the upper abdomen or chest, possibly accompanied by a sour taste in the mouth, a lump in the throat, or trouble swallowing.

Possible Causes: Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)

Action to Take: Suck on an antacid lozenge at the first sign of pain. Over-the-counter acid blockers can help prevent future attacks. If pain persists or quickly comes back, see your doctor. See your doctor promptly if you have trouble swallowing, especially if solid food gets stuck.

_____
Symptoms : Vague, widespread, cramp-like pain, accompanied by bloating, tiredness, gas, and occasional nausea. You may also have diarrhea, constipation, or bouts of both.

Possible Causes: Irritable bowel syndrome

Action to Take: Try cutting back on stress. Reducing fat in your diet may also help. If you have constipation, try eating more fiber and drinking more water. If problems persist, see your doctor.

_____
Symptoms : Pain in the lower abdomen. You may also have blood or mucus in your stools, fever, unexplained weight loss, skin rashes, tiredness, or joint pain.

Possible Causes: Crohn's disease (pain in the right side) or ulcerative colitis (with pain in the left side). Dysentery is also a possibility.

Action to Take: See your doctor promptly. Be sure to tell your doctor if you may be at risk for dysentery, or diarrhea containing blood, which is often caused by exposure to water contaminated by bacteria or protozoa. If diagnosed with ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease, you should eat nutritious meals, get plenty of rest, and cut back on stress. Avoid alcohol and aspirin.

______
Symptoms : Pressure in your upper abdomen, especially associated with heartburn.

Possible Causes: Hiatal hernia

Action to Take: Make an appointment with your doctor. You can also help yourself by avoiding large meals (especially within three hours of bedtime), raising the head of your bed by 4 to 6 inches, and not lying down for three hours after eating.
____
Symptoms : Pain in the lower abdomen, often combined with burning or stinging when urinating; yellow discharge; difficulty urinating; strong-smelling, murky, or bloody urine; and in women, pain during intercourse

Possible Causes: Urinary tract infection

Action to Take: See your doctor promptly. You can help yourself by drinking at least eight to 10 glasses of water or clear liquids a day. Some physicians advise avoiding alcohol, caffeine, and spicy foods. Don't have intercourse until you're cured.

_____
Symptoms : Stomach discomfort or bloating after drinking or eating dairy products, such as cow's milk and ice cream.

Possible Causes: Lactose intolerance

Action to Take: Avoid dairy products or take medicine to help you digest lactose.

_____
Symptoms : Bloating along with fewer than three bowel movements a week, abdominal pain, or hard, dry stools that are difficult to pass.

Possible Causes: Constipation

Action to Take: Eat a high-fiber diet, drink plenty of liquids, and walk or exercise each day if possible. If problems persist, call your doctor for advice.
Mermaid.  I have had the EXACT same symptoms as you were having with the pain under the right rib cage.  I had also had many ovarian cysts and pain from them.  My doctor also thought gall bladder problems because of the are and type of pain I was having.  An ultrasound revealed nothing. Nexium for one months helped but when I stopped, the pain gradually got to the same level again, especdially when I woke up most mornings.  

I will tell you what I did.  I found out through a friend about a chiropractor/acupunturist who does an allergy elimination type treatment.  There are a lot of quacks out there and I was very happy when I found her for my son who was having severe food allergies. When my son and subsequently other family members had such perfect results from this treamtent I let the doctor test me and found many food allergies.  Wheat, milk, vitamin C, and many others that were not as severe.  As soon as I had the treatment--24 hrs later--- I began feeling better.  I rarely have any pain in this area and when I do, I feel it is associated with something new that I have eaten that may be irritating my stomach.  The process is called N.A.E.T., named after the doctor who founded this method of treating allergies.  It not only helps food allergies, but environmental ones as well.  It is based on the fact that everything has a frequency and our bodies react to some in such a way to make us feel badly.  Some people get headaches, some get stomach and gastro disturbances and some people are chronically tired,  There are even some strange reactions like back pain.  Dr. Aileen Schulz of Fredericksburg, VA was the doctor who has helped my family Soooo greatly with this method.  I highly recommend this treatment.  It was well worth the cost to feel good and now I hardly ever get any gastro disturbances and don't need all the antacids, etc.  I hope this information helps you.  
I totally agree.  I saw a holistic practitioner when medicine failed to help me with my issues.  Im a very skeptical person but decided to try it anyway.  I felt better than I had in years.  I have close friends who use N.A.E.T testing for their childrens' allergies.  Most reputable chiro/holistic practitioners SHOULD have a free video or seminar that explains this and other techniques used at their offices.  Mine did.  Ask to see one.
To everyone experiencing pain on the right side of stomach.  You should ask for a Hepatitis panel test.  Best wishes
I am 41 years old, male, 6 feet tall, and about 80 pounds overweight.

I too have had ongoing RUQ discomfort (along with a myriad of other symptoms), off-and-on, for the past 15 months.  I also have chronic forehead/neck/back/arm clamminess and cold skin sensations, and I am much more prone to goosebumps (piloerection) than I ever used to be.  I assume this to be tied to my sympathetic nervous system/eccrine gland systems.  I have bouts of extreme fatigue, and some localized wrist joint arthralgia which has accompanied this myriad of symptoms since 'day-one'.

I have also had (off-and-on) the following intermittent symptoms:  bright red blood streaks on my stool, bright yellow or bright orange liquid on my toilet tissue, and ongoing daily forehead clamminess & skin 'coldness', Episcleritis in one eye (right side).  I would describe these symptoms as 'flare ups' of varying intensity which wax and wane.

My tests have been extensive to say the least:

* 2 abdominal CT's (about a year apart) - only consistent finding was a 'granulomatous calcified left hilar lymph node' which I've been told repeatedly, by more than one doctor, is from a childhood infection.  Apparently, many people have this radiology result.

* MRCP, MRI Liver, MRI Mesenteric Vein, MRI Abdomen (all normal)

* EUS/Endoscopic Ultrasound (a little invasive fat in the pancreas, but the Dr. was completely unconcerned - Baylor University Medical Center GI staff)

* Multiple comprehensive Liver Function Tests, multiple CBC's, 2 sets of ANCA & ANA bloodwork (for auto-immune issues), Endocrine testing, 5 HIAA urinalysis, 48 hour fecal fat, heart imaging & heart function/ treadmill testing, - ALL TESTS WERE WITHIN NORMAL PARAMETERS.

I am pretty much at my wits end.  I KNOW my body is telling me that it's sick.  So, in order to live life one day at a time, I am taking daily doses of Ativan (1 MG./per day) for anxiety, and trying to pretend my daily symptoms.

If anyone gets a diagnosis, please post it to this board.  I have been searching constantly for the past 15 months, and I empathize with everyone on this board.  This frustration is endless.

Scott in North Texas
I forgot to add that I've also had a Colonoscopy, a Hida Scan, and an Upper Endoscopy with small bowel follow through.  Only thing they found with these tests were two small internal hemorroids.  That supposedly explains the blood with the bowel movements.

-Scott
THORACIC HERNIATED DISCS CAN ALSO CAUSE THIS SYMPTOM.
A THORACIC MRI IS NECESSARY TO DETERMINE THIS.
MOST DOCTORS WILL DISMISS THIS SYMPTOM AS GI RELATED
INSTEAD OF THORACIC DUE TO THE SMALL PERCENTAGE OF
THORACIC HERNIATIONS, YET ODDLY ENOUGH THE PERCENTAGE
IS SMALL BECAUSE DOCTORS STATE THAT MOST THORACIC HERNIATIONS ARE ASYMPTOMATIC EVEN THOUGH THIS IS THE ONLY SYMPTOM THEY PRESENT PRIOR TO LOSS OF BOWEL, BLADDER AND PARALYSIS AND YET ONE OF THE CHIEF COMPLAINTS THAT PRIMARY CARE PHYSICIANS GET, THAT THE VAST MAJORITY OF PATIENTS GO UNDIAGNOSED IS ABDOMINAL PAIN!

Anyone with any helpful, insightful thoughts or information please advise me.  August 06 I had my gall bladder removed due to polyps.  The day following surgery I was in more pain than before surgery.  Repeated test were performed and everything was normal.  Last fall I saw a gastroenterologist who performed additional test and again everything was normal he then referred me to a surgeon who suggested exploratory surgerywhich I agreed to.  The surgeon in Dec. 06 found scar tissue (adhesions) on my liver where the gall bladder was removed.  6 weeks later the surgeon went in again and removed additional adhesions at the same spot.  June 07 he went in for a third time and still yet again removed adhesionsfrom the same area of my liver.  I was told by the doctor that he would spray  a substance that is supposed to prevent adhesions after my 2nd and 3rd surgeries.  I changed doctors and had a CAT scan friday but as of now I haven't gotten the results back.  For almost a month I have been having a slight amount of fever which I figure is caused by an infection.   Does any one have any suggestions as to what might be causing all of this scar tissue?
Hi all

I have had severe bloating for the last month. I only get it after eating my supper meal, which used to be around 5:30 pm...now I can't seem to eat ANYTHING after 3:30pm. My other symptoms include pain under my right ribs and occaional indigestion. There seems to be nothing that relieves the bloating, I have tried over-the-counter methods and herbal treatments to no avail. I am now starting to lose weight..which isn't the worst thing but I really can't see myself losing much more ( I am 22 year old woman, 5 ft, now 104 lbs-usually 110) I have had a complete abdominal ultrasound-it was clear. I had a mound of blood work clearing chances of preganancy,thyroid problems, glucose and regular hemoglobin. The DR has brushed it off as some form of IBS and said if it doesn't clear up within a month to come back-who knows what they'll do then that they can't do now. Anyways, any insight would be much appreciated.
Ok, well i have been vomiting and passing out with severe right side under the right rib pain for alomost the weeks.  Im in so much pain i can hardly stand it at times, i went to the dr a week after vomiting for a week and he said i had a middle ear infection gave me meds for vertigo and nuasea.  2 weeks later i went back, by then my asthma was acting which hastn in over a year, i was told i could have breathed in some of the vomit, so he sent me for an ultrasound of my liver and gallbladder.  which hasnt come back yet, lastnight i was rushed to the er for the pain and breathing problems only to be told that my dpctor would have to deal with my right rib pain. and i was released after 4 breathing treatments.  I should let you all know that i already have MAJOR heart issues, i am currently on disability for irreversible heart damage i am only 28, oh by the way lastnight  my blood gluclose came back elevated.  which was quickly dismissed by the physicians assistant that was treating me. ( yea a PA not a real doctor).. so im still in pain still vomiting, still tired as all get out, i go from cold to hot in 3 seconds flat.  im tired of not knowing whats going on inside my body....

my  mom just told me the other day that gallstones run in the family.  also i was told 2 years ago that my liver was fatty and had no alcholic schrosis.  maybe thats it, i sure hope not.  
whatever it is i hope they find sooner than later, but after reading everyones post i dont hold too much hope when it comes to that....

any suggestions on test  i should ask to be done....?
I have read all comments. I developed a dull ache under my right rib cage. I've had every test by a gastroenterologist. The problem is, with going to a specialist, they only order tests in their specific field. So, then the patient returns to the family doctor, who basically has no answers either.
Who has a solution to this ongoing problem.....doctors are makin' big bucks, but don't know what's wrong with  their patients. Hellllllllllloooooooooooooooo.
A dear friend of mine has a 16 year old daughter and she has pains in her stomach from her breast plate to her belly button.....Also the doctors told her that in her upper right Quad. she has enlarged lymph nodes.....She goes to the bathroom for a long time and it really hurts her....No diarrhea though...They have ran so many test and still can't come up with a answer...Her daughter has been hurting for about a year now and is in and out of school so much... She hasn’t had a period in about 3 months…..She isn’t pregnant. She needs help….
I'm in the same boat as many: RUQ pain, not bad but annoying. Endoscopy revealed severe erosion of stomach lining.  Got put on nexium. Did nothing. Went for another scope and biopsies. H. Pylori positive. 2 rounds of treatment: amoxil and biactin. When that didn't work I got put on Levaquin and Helidac. More antibiotics ran through me than should ever run through a human being.   Finished that now, the erosions are gone, yet the pain is still there.  To put things in perspective, the first scope was jun 07, and now its Sept 22 07.  Also, my liver, pancreas and gall bladder tests are normal, though I haven't tried a HIDA scan yet.  Its definitely diet related, and at times I can keep it controlled. However, if I screw up, it will hurt for days, and be aggravated even by things that do not usually bother me.  I'm about to go see a 3rd GI specialist, and frankly can't afford it.  I've also developed a nasty milk intolerance, which is strange.  Any help or advice would be great.  And when I find the cure for whatever this i'll let you all know. I'm about to start to run some experiments . . .

I,m coping with constant sore burning pain either anoying or just plan painful which is worse under my right rib, dull ache around the back on the same side, the right side is often tender today as well, I tried to wind down with half-bottle of wine last night, I wish I had not bothered.  The pain is worse if I'm very hungry or if I drink wine, but today even drinking tea is hitting the raw spots.

When my doctor examined me she was able to make me scream, finding the bad bits. Ultra-sound on gall bladder came showed no stones. I look and feel  ill and like many others I am working full-time,finding it increasingly difficult to hide symptoms of rusing to the loo and prretending I'm not in pain or tired other times, what can I expect the doctors to try next and what can I do for myself?

Many of you are further along with test results and might be able to give me a clue as to what's wrong with me. I am a female and 43, with an under-active thyroid and on thyroxine, omeprazole and buscopan. I only rectal bleed during my period and have very sore joints.

In the UK they me to be awake for invassive tests, such as Colonoscopy and Endoscopy doing them both at the same time. I am terrifed at the thought of it.Is this normal or can I be put out?

Any comments or thoughts appreciated....

Has anyone considered celiac disease (gluten intolerance)? This seems to connect a LOT of dots for me including joint pain, TMJ, carpal tunnel, mouth canker sores, and general inflammatory problems. I also have disabling ADD and was diagnosed with anemia as a child. All of these are symptoms pointing to celiac disease, which can be corrected through eating a gluten-free diet! I will post my results later...
I forgot to mention that I have been struggling with upper right quadrant bloating/pain for over 10 years (I'm 32) and "abdominal cramping, intestinal gas, distention and bloating" is one of the big red flags.
For a while there I thought I was going crazy, thinking I'm the only one out there with the same problem. I did every test you could think of and it cost thousands and the Dr.'s said everthing is normal. I feel for all of you. I hope some day they figure it out. I quit asking my dr. about it.
By the way I'm a 47 year old female, this started 3 years ago.
I am a 46 yr old female and like all of you I have upper right quadrant pain. My pain began in June 2006 and I have been to several doctors and have had numerous CT scans, MRIs, Ultrasounds, extensive bloodwork and a liver bioposy. I was diagnosed with Autoimmune Hepatitis in Aug 2006 but the doctors have repeatedly told me my pain is not caused by the hepatitis. Funny how they seem to be able to tell me what it is not, but can't tell me what it is that is causing my pain. I have been hospitalized twice in the last 6 months and still no answers.

Just wanted to say that I feel the pain each of you are having and wish I could shed more light on the situation, but I will watch this  forum and hopefully someday read a post that gives us answers!!!

I did notice that a suggestion was make to have a CA125 bloodtest run, I would also suggest having a CA19-9 blood test, much like the CA125 the test detects cancers within the gastrointestinal tract, including liver, pancreas.