Gastroenterology Community

Acute Pancreatitis 2X in one month?

Hello. On Nov. 26 admitted to hosp for AP, was sent home 3 days later, Lipase levels, at 700 upon departure. . On Dec, 12, I was readmitted again with same thing, and my levels were over 500 when admitted.  . Again, I had AP. Similar events, pain. They found sludge in my GB and I had GB removed this past Saturday.

I am not a drinker, and had no stones. The doctors felt it was the sludge causing issues, as they couldnt narrow it down to any other reason.

Is it possible my first bout never cleared up? Or it cleared up and I got sick again right away?
Any thoughts?

There is no history of pancreatitis in family, except my grandmother died from pancreatic cancer.

Just wondering if there is a chance that this could have been the start of Chronic Pancreatitis.

Any ideas or input would be welcome.

Thank you.

Eighty percent of pancreatitis is caused by alcohol and gallstones. Gallstones are the single most common etiology of acute pancreatitis. In your case also, gall bladder sludge may have been responsible for the pancreatitis. If any other attack comes, then other causes need to be explored. Other common causes include trauma, mumps, autoimmune disease, scorpion stings, high blood calcium, high blood triglycerides and hypothermia.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem