Gastroenterology Community

Annoying Discomfort Right Rib Cage

I am a 45 year old woman and have experienced CONSTANT discomfort in my right lower (and sometimes upper) ribcage.  The pain "travels".  Actually I would not call it pain, sometimes it feels as though there is pressure from inside pushing outward against the ribs.  Like a wadded sock under my ribs!  The discomfort has been present for over a year, but never so bad or painful that I wanted to immediately seek help.  However, living everyday w/discomfort is growing old!  It at times almost seems that it could be a muscular or skeletal problem.  Other than the discomfort, I've experienced no problems.  My appetite is GREAT, I generally feel good everyday and am exercising daily.  I have regular bms and no sign of liver disfunction, such as jaundice, discolored urine etc. I have never had an
I had a similar problem and thought I might have liver problems. I went to see the doctor and it was determined that it was muscular pain. At your place, I would still go see the doctor to have peace of mind! Good luck!
I had the exact same thing and I had gallstones.  LOTS of them.  I would bring this up to your PCP and ask him to do and  abdominal ultrasound to see if there are any abnormalities.  That will also see the liver.  But when you said your shoulder blade I immediately thought gallbladder because I used to get attacks so bad where I felt like I couldn't bnreathe cause it hurt so bad so I would have them check it out.  Good Luck to you.
This has been my major complaint, you put it well however, after undergoing gastroscopy and ultrasounds, the gastroenterologist stated he found nothing (but told my doctor he found a small hiatal hernia) and the ultrasound was clear.  I am now told that the next step is a CT scan, but after being continually told it is all in my head, I think the CT scan can wait as I trully believe they will not find anything with that either.  All my bloods etc are normal, but I am having continuous difficulty driving and sitting with the discomfort. Good luck with it, I've had enough for the time being.
same problem here...you can almost feel the outline of your liver with the pressure.  I have had all the tests, blood work, ct, etc. Docs say nothing wrong! I have been taking way too much vicodin (500 mg acetominifin) for the last 3 years and drink on occasion. I have stopped the vicodin 1 week ago and the pain stopped, but, I had dinner with my neighbor last nite, drank a glass of wine and was up all nite  due to the nagging ache in my right side. I read that the liver will heal  itself over time, but, will the damage cause failure 10, 20 years from now? I am 40 and generally in good health except for chronic neck pain. I started taking milk thistle today, hope it works! Any words of wisdom out there? Should I insist on a biopsy?
noclue
I had the same symptoms for five years. Ultra sound found nothing. This pass January I went for anouther ultra sound and they found gall stones. I had my gall bladder removed on 3/8/02. The doctor said my gall bladder was healthy, and there were a few stones. I wondered if I should of had it removed, but if it stops the pain I was having for the last five years I would do it again. I know how you feel when you say you think the doctors don't believe you have this pain. I too felt that way, but when the pain continued I made sure they continued to check it out. I never knew if I was having a gall bladder attack or a heart attack, and I wanted to know the difference. Don't give up, because you never have to go through that type of pain, keep going back until they find what the pain is from.
Wow, I just posted a message asking for help with the same thing.  I know exactly what you mean about the wadded up sock feeling, and the waistband issue. I hope to resolve this soon as it is turning into problems with dizziness.
My discomfort started about 6 mos ago. I thought I had a stomach ulcer b/c of pain after eating and also during the night like indigestion or something accompanied by bloating. At Christmas it was even worse, so I went to my primary care physician who then sent me to a gastro doctor. They then sent me for xrays (abd ultrasound & CC HIde A Scan test). This showed them I had a collapsed gall bladder or biliary dyskinesia.  I am going to have my gall bladder removed on 3/18. HOpefully this discomfort under my ribs will stop!
get tested for H. Pylori. Its a bacteria that can cause all the symptoms listed here.
Something to consider would be angina. It can present differently in women than in men. Women feel it in their upper abdomen or upper back. I myself get angina from a coronary artery spasm as well as tachycardia. I feel it in my chest and when it's really bad it's between my shoulder blades.
I am 30. Am I a little young for that? They seem to be certain it's my gall bladder.
I doubt you have angina at 30 but it's not unheard of. I'm 37 and female and started getting it last year. It doesn't really sound like it since you say it's present all the time and tight clothing make it worse, and your skin is sensitive. It was just a thought since your tests are all ok for liver, gallbladder, etc.
Maybe you have stones in your bile duct.  I have experienced pain for the last 2 years.  I had a complete hysterectomy, gallbladder removed, surgeries testing my bladder nad kidneys.  I was in the hospital over the weekend and they told me I had a stone in my appendix but that was not causing my pain.  Has anyone ever heard of this.  I am at my wits end with this pain.  It is in my lower right side and under my right rib cage.  I am going back to the doctor and demanding the run a test to see if I have stones in my bile duct.  If you have experienced anything like this or know anything about this matter , please email me at ***@****.  Thanks!!
just found this site- what a god send- you people are experiencing the same things i am- just had ultrasound fone this am.. she said there was a little sludge around my gallbladder- please someone can you tell me if i get my gallbladder removed will i be "all better" is that the best solution is that what the problem is- i mean do we really really need our gallbladder

signed

scared and confused :(
No, I had mine removed in 1999 and still have the problem.  I too had a sludgy gallbladder. I have never to date had a diagnosis.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem