Gastroenterology Community

Barretts Esophagus

Hi, I was diagnosed with Barretts Esophagus late last year. My history is I have had acid reflux, I do have anxiety and depression and fair amount of stress. I WAS a cigar smoker until I heard this news and did not inhale and smoked cigars maybe a few a week during summer and once a month in the winter.

I believe my doctor said checkup once a year, does this sound right? Also lately I am just getting scared when I get a little heartburn and just worry I am going to progress to cancer although the doctor said I am no where near that. I am on 40mg generic Prilosec, maybe should I be on more??

WORRIED in NJ   :-(
Yes, this is how often they check my husband.  Barretts Esophagus is caused by the acid reflux. Trust in your doctor with this, and it sounds like your medication is working.  My husband's doesn't always help, and he has a lot of problems, but no cancer.  Keeping the acid under control is key to stopping any further erosion and irritation, and you're doing this.  If at any time you start having more problems then let your doctor know as there are other medications you can try.  Take care and try not to stress ove this, it just adds to your anxiety.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem