Gastroenterology Community

Bloody Diarrhea

A couple of years ago, I was training for a marathon.  I started with 3 mile runs and worked up to 12 mile runs over a 6 month period.  Suddenly, I began getting severe abdominal cramping during my run and would have bloody diarrhea.  A few days following the bleeding, I would be constipated and my stomach would be bloated.  It did not occur every time I ran and the food I ate did not seem to have any impact.  My doctor had me stop running after the most severe attack and schedule me for a colonoscopie three weeks later.  The colonoscopie revealed no abnormalities and my doctor was not able to determine the cause of the pain or bleeding.  Last week, my Dad was admitted to the hospital with diverticulitis.  In talking to him, I discovered that he too had experienced periods of bleeding and a colonscopie that did not reveal any problems.  Is it at all possible that I have diverticulitis?  I was 30 years old at the time of my training and was in good shape.  Is diverticulitis heireditary?  Are there treatment options beside not running?
It sounds like the exact problem I was having.  After the GI specialist said my colonoscopy and MRI was normal (the MRI was to see if there were any blockages in the blood flow to the large intestine), he did some research and diagnosed me with exercise induced Ischemic colitis.  I don't get the bloody diarrhea every time I exercise, just if I do it too hard.  So, if I slow down or do other forms of exercise (bike, swim) it doesn't seem to be a problem anymore.  Hopefully this helps!  (P.S. I'm 38 yrs old)
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem