Cause of foul burps that sound like I inhaled helium?

About a year or so ago I had an episode of foul smelling/tasting burps that led to an episode of severe upper abdominal pain. Like call an ambulance type pain.It was accompanied by nausea/vomitting/diarrhea.

This happened about every month for 3-4mos. Sometimes there was diarrhea sometimes not. Over time it seems I am just getting the burping with milder stomach pain. If I even suspect it will turn into a major pain episode I take buscopan and pain killers right away. No idea if they work but I don't take any chances. Nothing worked for the pain once it got going in the past.

The burps are big, foul and sound like I've inhaled helium. I can't relate it to specific events or food. Sometimes it nauseated me. I go to be sick and instead of vomitting a massive burp comes out.

I've been tested for H. Pylori. Came back negative although I don't know if it was accurate because it's not 100% and I had constipation at the time making the stool sample not great.

Had abdominal ultrasound. Nothing remarkable although it did show a random liver cyst :-/

Any ideas/thoughts?

My mom and daughter have IBS but I've never had stomach problems and I'm 57. I do have GERD and been on meds for same forever(PPI's).

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem