Celiac compression syndrome and healthy "looking" veins past stenosis

My husband had surgery last week to free the celiac artery from the median arcuate ligament. He has had acute abdominal pain for years, and the surgeon though MALS may be the cause, as tests showed he had 50% stenosis of the celiac artery. The surgeon says that the veins past the stenosis area all look healthy, which leads him to believe MALS is not the cause of my husband's pain, and that the large, sliding hiatal hernia also discovered (and repaired) during the same surgery may be the culprit. At any rate, my husband's pain level is just as bad, if not worse, since the surgery.

My question is, if the veins past the stenosis look healthy, does this absolutely mean a stent would have no effect?

Thanks.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  What do you mean by acute abdominal pain?  Do you mean that he has flare-ups?  Because if he was having continuous abdominal pain for years, it would be considered chronic not acute.  How long has it been since the surgery?
Helpful - 0
Sorry - it's actually chronic abdominal pain, which he describes as excruciating hunger pain that is either slightly relieved by - or exacerbated by - eating. The pain is all day, every day. Surgery was 10 days ago.
Helpful - 0
Just based on the 2 conditions, and the percent of time they cause symptoms, it is probably more likely that the hernia caused the pain than MALS.  I would recommend giving it some more time.  He could still be dealing with pain from the surgery and it might improve over the next couple of weeks.
Helpful - 0
I hope his condition has improved.  I am thinking about mals surgery.  Any information would be very much appreciated.  Also where did they do the surgery?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem