Gastroenterology Community

Chronic Anal Fissure

Hi, I'm 25 years old, 5'11'' tall, and weigh 160 lbs. Last year, I was diagnosed with a chronic anal fissure upon a visual inspection by a doctor (the fissure has an associated sentinel pile and is located at the 12 o'clock position along the midline). My symptoms included bright-red blood spots/streaks on toilet paper, an occasional fine, bright-red streak of blood down my stool's surface, but no pain except for a very slight itchiness/soreness in the fissure area which lingered after a bowel movement. Sometimes the streak was wider, depending on my stool's girth or softness/hardness (it was wider on the stool surface wherever the stool seemed wider or harder). The fissure seemed aggravated by harder stools or the sometimes impacted distal ends of stools.

Now, I drink about 3 to 4 litres of water everyday and have a relatively active lifestyle and well-balanced diet that often includes good amounts fibrous foods like fruits, vegetables, and All-Bran cereal. My stool is usually brownish, soft, formed like a torpedo, and easy to pass (I have a bowel movement about once per day). However, sometimes my stool is a harder/wider or has a impacted distal end, causing the symptoms mentioned above to reoccur (the fissure flares up).

I have never experienced any pain with my chronic anal fissure, only some itchiness and soreness. Given this, would surgery for my chronic anal fissure be recommended or should I just live with it as long as it doesn't cause me any severe pain or disruptions in my daily life?
Hey, I dont know really, I am not a doc here.  I am male here 36 and I had a fissue that would not go away for a while here.  I just live with it here, but you might want to try Fleeet glycerin suppositories.  I use 1 when I am having a difficult bm, and it softens it so that it doesnt tear again.  Drop me a line, let me know if they help.
I had bottox in an anul fissure but by the time i went for a procedure it was basically better I just had pain with piles. Well they put botox in my sphincter and when i went the toilet it was really painful and it felt like the tear i 1st had 3 months ago so has he made it worse as i didnt even have this before the procedure. Im scared to go the toilet. Also i thought there was mant to be a pain killer in the botox but i phoned them up and i picked her up as that might not be the case they are so vaig.Please reply urgently.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem