Gastroenterology Community

Chronic Undiagnosed Pain

I'm 23 years old and was diagnosed with IBS and GERD when I was around 11 years old. Over the years, I have learned to deal with these conditions.
However, this past July 2009, I was hospitalized with pancreatitis. After numerous tests, they discovered very small "crystals" in my gallbladder and laproscopically removed it the following day. I was released about a week later with pain medicine. Over the next 4 months, I was hospitalized at least 7 different times in 5 different hospitals in 3 different states. I saw numerous specialists and pain management teams, but nobody could find the cause of my ongoing pain in the upper left abdomen. My pancreatic levels were only abnormal for about a week, and continued bloodwork has shown that my pancreatic levels have been normal for the past 6 months.
To this day, 22 March 2010, the pain has not subsided. I am taking heavy narcotics from a pain management doctor and continue to have tests regularly. In the past month, doctors have discovered that I have anemia, hypothyroidism, IgA deficiency, and borderline IgG deficiency.  My other symptoms include extreme fatigue, nausea, joint pain (especially in knees, hips, and shoulders), and numbness/tingling in my hands and feet.  The only two triggers for the pain that I know of are greasy foods (such as fast food) and moderate-heavy exercise (especially abdominal exercises). Other than that, the pain is constant and unpredictable. I'm only 23 years old and am beyond depressed that I'm unable to work or function normally on a day-to-day basis.
Besides typical Western medicine, I have tried hypnotherapy, pain management therapy, acupuncture, and Chinese herbs. Nothing is working.

I am hoping that someone can help me. I have been sick for over 7 months now without relief and am desperate to be rid of this awful pain.... any comments or suggestions would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading.

Sincerely,
Lindsay

This discussion is related to chronic Pancreas pain..
These readings are breath taking!!! My son who is 20yrs old now, has had abdominal 'pain' since he was 2yrs! He has had a miserable life. We have taken him everywhere that had been suggested, even Ohio & we are in Alabama!!!! EVERY Dr. we took him to said NOTHING was wrong, some even stated it was all in his head!!! Needless to say this was beyond frustrating! But, your writings here have opened up new ideas for me to research for him. I've always told him i would never give up on finding the problem!!!!!!!! All of you have inspried me to go further in my search, I'm really wondering if he may have birth defect in this area. He is unable to function much less try to work, it is such a sad situation and i don't know what to do next. I have ask the last 2 or 3 DR.s to check for sphinter of oddi dysfunction,  their respond was the test is to dangerous. If anyone has any thoughts concerning this I would love to hear from you. Thanks & May God bless U!
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem