Gastroenterology Community

Colon Problems

I have had a colon resectionimg fo Diverticulitis about 1 1/2 years ago. For the past 6 months I have had 24hrs of gas, (Foul Smelling), and Foul Smelling Stools.
My doctor has me taking 6 tablespoons of Oat Bran and 1 tablespoon of Ground Flax Seed per day becaus I have been complaining of the above symptoms along with: Anal Pain, Anal Itching, Abdomanal Bloatind, Roving Abdomanal Pain (mild), Blood on toilet tissue, and sometimes on feces.
I am never constipated, but I seldom have the urge to have my first bowel movement of the day.
When i do it is not a complete bowel movement. I can sit on the toilet for quite awhile and feces comes out a little bit at a time and its very thin in shape.
Of course the constant wiping irritates my anus and causes bleeding, itching, throbbing and pain.
This event sets the corse for the day.
I have 3 to 5 bowel movements throughout the day, and each one is thinner and narrower, and more painful afterward.
I've tried PROCTOSOL HC 2.5% Cream to no avail, and now just Petroleum Jelly to no avail.
What do you suggest that I do?
My Doctor doesn't seem to want to go any further than ointments.

Sincerely,

Rusty525

Hi - just over four years ago I underwent a total colectomy for torrential diverticular bleeding and, after a couple of months, I was fine.  I described my experience in response to a recent posting by another patient.  If you are interested log on to:-

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/523166

Did you have a total colectomy - or just a small part of the colon removed?  If only a small part was removed then in theory you could still be vulnerable to any intra-colon diseases that might have been present/in development when you underwent your surgery for diverticulitis.

My suggestion would be to insist on a colonoscopy.  I had one about a year after my operation just to check that everything was OK so this test can be carried out after colon surgery - whether partial or total.

Good luck
Morecambe

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem