Constipation pain

About 8 weeks ago I started taking a colon clense from GNC, about four days in to it I started to get constipated so I called the mfg of the product and he told me that was normal and to keep taking it. I did not keep taking it and I waited a week and still could not go, after three weeks of not going at all I went to the emergency room and they gave me a prescription for stool softner and sent me home. Two weeks later after it not getting better I took some laxative pills to help me and then I went back to the emergency room where this time they did a CT scan, x-rays along with blood and urine work which they did none of that the first time. At the end they said nothing was wrong with me that they could see and that I should go see a professional. So I went to a Gastroenterologist, I was literally in his office for 8 min. He told me that since I was 30 years old that it was probably nothing and it would go away by itself. So now 8 weeks after it originally started I am still constipated real bad, I am having pains that seem to follow the route of my large intestine. It starts on the left side of the middle of my back and goes down on a angle and around to the front of my stomach. I also have a lot of stomach pains from it. I also notice that I have been getting severe headaches from not being able to go to the bathroom. So severe that i feel like Im going to pass out. I have a hard time passing gas also. I have to strain to pass gas and it never seems like its all out. My stomach is constantly "bubbly" and I have a serious urge to go to the bathroom all the time, however when I go to go little to nothing happens but I notice that even though I didnt "poop" when I wipe it seems mucusy?  It seems to take about 4 to 5 days before I can go just a little and in that time period the pain is severe. After I go it starts the cycle of 4 to 5 days of not going and the pain all over again. When I do go it seems to be very little and it is a soft yellowish brown color and looks shredded. Im sorry for the descriptive detail but i would really like for someone to try to help me without blowing me off. I just want the pain to go away and to get back to normal.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
For severe constipation, I've found that magnesium citrate is the best laxative out there (can be found over the counter).  For the gas problems you can try gas-x (also over the counter).  However, you should find a new GI doctor that will take you seriously.
Helpful - 0
Definitely go to a new GI doctor because he shouldn't be blowing you off...sometime I travel to a bigger city because I live in a rural area...in order to go to a better doctor.  I was found to have a tortuous colon which explained my symptoms.  I take both colace and miralax.  If I don't take both I'll have a problem though and really I'm still not 100%, but am much better
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem