Gastroenterology Community

Coughing and Gagging after Eating

Thought I would share my story--I saw this post a long time ago.  I had this same thing happen for several years--I would eat just about any food, and within 5-10 minutes my throat would fill up with sticky phlegm, and I would choke, gag, hack, and cough for 20 minutes to a half hour, and often would cough until I would vomit.  The coughing fits became worse over the years, and I had to stop eating breakfast because I choked and vomited so much from the hacking.  My nose would sometimes drip within a minute or two (actually running down my face) and I would have blow my nose at the table.  Sometimes it would fill up so bad I couldn't breathe well.  It was horrible!  I had a lot of other health problems as well, such as tiredness, sluggishness, morning sickness, dark undereye circles, etc. etc.  I had my thyroid tested and it came back normal.  I went to several doctors and no one could figure out what was wrong.  I was Googling the symptoms (which is how I came across this post originally) and it didn't seem like anyone had a clear idea of what *exactly* it could be.  Well by chance, I went to an allergist (for indoor/outdoor allergies).  She did a skin test, and a bunch of stuff came up.  Well, I mentioned the food issues and she told me to go get a blood test to check for food intolerences, which I did.  Much to my shock, they discovered a WHEAT/GLUTEN intolerance that I was COMPLETELY unaware of--I cut it out and 100% of my symptoms stopped IMMEDIATELY and cleared up within a day!  It was unreal!  Now, I can tell within minutes if I've consumed something that wasn't 100% gluten-free--the hacking/coughing/runny nose/gagging starts in within five minutes!!!!!  Otherwise, I *NEVER* get the coughing after eating anymore!  Just wanted to share in case you have similar problems--it took me several years to get it diagnosed (and they can only find it with a blood test!)  =)  One in about 133 people has Celiac Disease, and 30% don't have symptoms until it is too late....it's worth getting tested for!!!!!

This discussion is related to Gagging and coughing after eating.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem