Gastroenterology Community

Diarrhea for 18+ Months and Elevated Alk Phosphatase

Hi -
I've seen some similar posts that are several years old, but not a lot of answers.
My almost 5-year old son has had diarrhea for 18+ months.  We are on our third Pediatric GI Specialist - the first one wanted to keep him on Prednisone even though he was not responding; the second one "wasn't concerned about the diarrhea" and was only concerned with his nutrition; and the third is a diarrhea specialist who has diagnosed our son with "Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth" (SIBO) even though he hasn't had either of the two tests to definitively diagnose this condition (we are still with this specialist).  Between the three specialists, he's had every test you can think of - invasive and non-invasive.  He's tested negative for Girardia, parasites, Celiac and Crohn's.  He had a colonoscopy, endoscopy, and fluoroscopy.  He's also had a lactose breath test to r/o lactose intolerance.  He did not respond to Prednisone or Apriso.  He has had two rounds of Xifaxin (January 2014 and February 2014) with some positive results.  He has never complained of pain, and he's only had some fresh blood in his stool a handful of times.  I most recently got copies of my son's lab work from last January.  His Alkaline Phosphatase was High at 275 (lab's range is 31-103).  I'm concerned about liver dysfunction since my son's stool, when it is "solid", it is very mushy and grayish in color (it's only been "solid" since he completed his first round of Xifaxin in January).  He also always has a lot of mucous in his stool.  He has a distended stomach (severe bloating), lack of concentration, poor memory, and episodes of rage (with unidentifiable triggers).  Has anybody else experienced this? Suggestions?
Hi, considering the positive findings, the levels of alkaline phosphatase are normally raised in children and pregnant women. They could also be raised in liver disorders, bone diseases: where there is increased resorption due to bone growth, bone fractures, rheumatoid arthritis, excessive medications and gastrointestinal inflammation. Considering the above facts the raised Alkaline phosphatase levels could be because of the gastrointestinal inflammation (vomiting) and the fact that it is normally increased in children. But the possibility of other diseases needs to be considered.

Check to see if any specific food is aggravating the bloating and try to avoid the same. In general try to avoid cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and asparagus. Certain medications and food additives too can cause bloating. Check on these. Also, try to include yogurt in your diet as it is a probiotic which replaces lactobacillus acidophilus (good bacteria) that helps with digestion. Regards.

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem