Gastroenterology Community

Everytime I eat I have a bowel movement

Hello, my name is Fredericka and I am 5'1 and 102lbs. For the past few months immediately after I eat (doesn't matter what) I have to use the restroom. It's always a decent size and green. It's always the meal that I consumed prior. At its worst I have had 5 bowel movements in a day. I have also had a loss of appetite and weight  I was 130 started working out got to 120 and from there it decreased without effort. It's very hard for me to keep weight on. I use to get very bad gas causing horrible stomach pains for hours but no longer.  I didn't think anything of it for a while but since I've been trying to gain weight it makes me wonder if this plays a part. Thanks in advance
Hi, your symptoms could be due to IBS, which is a diagnosis of exclusion. If all the tests to rule out other disorders are done and found to be negative, then the diagnosis of IBS is made. IBS with diarrhea (IBS-D) has loose or watery stools at least 25 percent of the time; hard or lumpy stools less than 25 percent of the time. Try eating smaller meals or smaller portions. Eating meals that are low in fat and high in carbohydrates, such as pasta, rice, whole-grain breads and cereals, fruits, and vegetables, may help. Worrying about the symptoms can create a vicious cycle, making the symptoms worse. Try to combat stress with relaxation techniques or regular exercise. Try to include yogurt in your diet as it is a probiotic which replaces lactobacillus acidophilus (good bacteria) that helps with digestion. See if this helps. Take care.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem