Fever with ulcerative colitis yes it happens

I have had ulcerative colitis for 30 years and in the past 10 years, I get an intermittent fever with it.  It is debilitating enough with the blood, mucous, loose stools and the abdominal pain, but the fever just wipes me out.  And yes I have had infectious disease doctors test for everything under the sun to no avail.  It is the UC!!  It comes on more in the evenings but lately I have had it all day.  Please do some more studies to realize this happens to us and we don't have an underlying cause.

This discussion is related to High Ferver and Lower abdominal pain.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Is this a question or a statement?  I have microscopic colitis when I have a flare yes I get a fever.  Uc is an autoimmune disease as I am sure you know your immune system is attacking  your body so to speak.  So when your immune system senses something wrong it will cause a fever because your immune system is trying to "burn off" whatever is making you sick like when you have the flu a fever is supposed to burn off the virus (that's why I don't take a fever reducer when sick because it will take longer for your body to knock off the virus-catch 22 imo).  
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem