Food poisoning - still?

I'm a 30 y/o woman not on any medication and usually in generally good health. Not pregnant.

I had a terrible case of food poisoning about a week ago (consisted of 24 hours of lots of vomiting and liquid diarrhea) that seemed to be "classic" food poisoning (I think the culprit was some undercooked eggs at a diner).

I haven't had any GI symptoms since but I've just kind of felt "off" - not really great, but no specific symptomology per se that I could point to. I don't have any appetite, have been really tired (slept 14 hours last night and then took a 3 hour nap this afternoon), and have lost 7 pounds. I've also had what feels kind of like acid reflux - though I've never really had acid reflux or heartburn before so I am not entirely sure that's what it is - for the past few days. I just checked and I have a mild fever now (didn't have that last week).

Is this just post-food-poisoning? Or something else? When do I need to see a doctor (don't want to waste their time if it's just like one of those "you'll get better eventually" type situations)? I haven't seen a physician in about a year (annual physical) so I don't go typically.
Hi, you could be in the recovering phase if you do not have any diarrhea now. Infections of the gut kill the normally residing flora in the gut like lactobacillus acidophilus (good bacteria) that helps with digestion. This can result in diarrhea. For this you need to take probiotics to replace this bacteria. You can get some good organic yogurt and take it with your meals. And for now, drink plenty of oral fluids to replace the lost amounts in your stools, water, broths and soups as they help to replace the electrolytes. Take yogurt with your meals. Avoid caffeine, foods high in fiber and milk products. Slowly add soft well cooked food and if tolerated proceed to normal diet. But if the symptoms are worsening or are not getting better please consult your primary care physician. Regards.

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem