Full feeling/throat

I took Actos and within a week started having stomach and left side pains.  I stopped actos and 75% of the symptoms are gone but I did see my doctor who ordered a CT scan which was normal.  My labs have all been normal except I did show 21% atypical lymphs.  Mono test was negative and so was H pylori blood test.  I suspect the Actos started my problems.  I felt bloated and full, pain in one specific area on left side, stomach stopped growling, etc.  After being off the actos (I still take amaryl and lisinopril) for 3 months I still feel occasional bloating and pain on left side but now I feel like something stuck in my throat.  I don't have any trouble swallowing saliva or food/drinks.  I have been to a gastro doctor who scoped me and only found in my colon a few internal hemorroids and nothing in my throat or stomach but mild inflammation in upper duodenum.  He prescribed nexium.  I took it yesterday and now I feel awfully bloated and I could barely eat without feeling stuffed.  I have tried maalox, tums, rolaids with no relief.  I saw my family doc this week and he said if my throat issues were gastric reflux or sinus drainage the problem would get worse when I lay down.  I don't have any heartburn. I get better laying down and when I get up in the morning the throat feeling is completely gone for an hour or so.  He said maybe my throat is dry.  I do drink a lot of water.  I am confused what is going on.  I have read where sometimes the GERD isnt really too much acid but in fact too less acid and someone recommended trying 1 TBSP of apple cider vinegar in 8 ounces water 3-4 times a day.  What could be the cause of the bloated feeling and something in my throat?  Nothing significant is showing up in labs or scans.  I am so tired of feeling crappy.  Thanks!!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
You might want to suggest your GI to make a breath test for SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth). Normally there are some bacteria in small intestine, but when they overgrow, they produce gas and hence bloating.

If not bacteria in the small intestine, then it may be candida in the colon. I think that the same breath test would show this.

Anyway, you can do a sugar-free diet test for one week. No sugar (sweets, soda), fructose (fruits), maltose (beer), alcohol, and limited starch (potatoes, wheat). These are nutrients for bacteria/candida and when you starve them, they die. One week probably won't be enough for healing, but it may be a good experiment.

T
Helpful - 0
Thank you so much for giving me some ideas to go with.  I was telling a coworker last night none of my doctors have suggested a bacterial infection.  I never thought of fungal so I will bring up the breath test and other ideas you suggested at my appt.  I don't drink alcohol and limit my sugar intact due to diabetes.  Sometimes I am ready to start drinking though.  It's interesting how when I sneeze, cough, blow my nose and eat/drink the feeling in my throat goes away for a few minutes.  Doctors have all said probably is not sinus drainage or acid reflux since it gets better and goes away when I lay down.  My poor family doctor just shakes his head and says this isn't normal.  He did suggest dry throat but I would think that would be worse in morning from snoring and having my big mouth open when I sleep.  I drink a lot of water so not dehydrated.  Thanks again!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem