Gastroenterology Community

GERD and 120mg nexium

I am hoping others that have GERD and take Nexium and or have had Nissen Fundoplication can provide some insight.

I have had GERD for probably 20 years.  I tried all the overcounter anacids, zantac, carafat, and finally prilosec and Nexium.  I have been on Nexium for 15 years (give or take).  Started at 40mg, went to 80mg about 8 years ago and just recently (nov '08) was put on 120mg.  I am concerned about the dosage and log term affects.  I have been seeing a nutritionist for just over a year and she has me on many digestive supplements (I have ulcerative colitis as well), herbs, pro-biotics and vitamins (B-12, B-complex, zinc).  From what others have said the reasons for the supplements make sense.

I have had all the tests for deciding if Nissen Fundoplication is appropriate and it seems I am a good candidate.  I am quite nervous and am thinking this is insane.....to subject myself to possible unending problems due to the surgery.  Doctor says I really ought to be on 180mg of Nexium with all the acid the test reports.  I am questioning the test itself.  When they put the monitor in my esophagus I had increased symptoms....severe pain radiating to my back and jaw, difficulty swallowing, almost blacking out, and reflux.  When you have something in your esophagus, as in swallowing, the LES opens, relaxes, to allow food to pass.  So, if something is lodged in your esophagus, wouldn't your LES stay open and cause acid to infiltrate the esophagus naturally....invalidating the test?  

Can anyone relate to this?  Has anyone had the surgery and been really hesitant that they feel their symptoms are mild and not an issue?  

Just confused!  Any input would be helpful.

Thanks,

Linda

This discussion is related to Long term effects of taking Nexium?.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem