Gastroenterology Community

GERD and osteoporosis prevention

I'm 29 years old and was diagnosed with GERD in June. Tried Protonix and it worked really well, but when I stopped it and my job got stressful, the GERD symptoms came raging back.

My question is this: my doc is concerned about me being on Protonix long term because I'm young, small-boned and thin (especially when my GERD is bad- I lose weight b/c eating is so unpleasant), and my Mom has osteoporosis. She said Protonix and others like Prilosec block calcium absorption and could put me at a much higher risk for osteoporosis. For now, she's giving me another round to get me through Thanksgiving, but I'm not sure what we're doing after that.

Any thoughts on managing GERD while not neglecting my bones? I have had a little success with taking Zantac 150 2x a day and really monitoring my diet, but I still end up losing weight and worry that I'm damaging my esophagus.

Thank you!
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem