Gastroenterology Community

Gall bladder stones

My age is 26. I;m married and I have a son. I have multiple gall stones of size 2.7mm. Drs asked me to go for surgical removel. He said there is no other solution. I don't want to remove my gall bladder. Please can anybody tell me is there any other medication or procedure to have removed my gall stones.

Desperately waiting for reply....

This discussion is related to gallbladder stone removal.
I'm in a similar stage of things, myself (ultrasound results came back today -- "several" stones, but I've no clue of exact numbers nor size, and the gallbladder itself apparently is a wee bit tattered from the passage of earlier stones, but nothing terribly horrid; my GP is hooking me up with a specialist in the next few days/weeks for the next step) and as far as I can tell, there's four primary methods.

1) Removal of the gallbladder -- Relatively minor surgery with a quick recovery time, never have to worry about gallstones ever again. Downfall being that many folks are squicked out by organ removal, there's always the chance of complications, and it's apparently not unheard of for folks to develop a fat intolerance sort of affair once they're gallbladderless.

2) Removal of the stones -- Even more minor of surgery with a quicker recovery time. Downfall again being the squick-factor, but there's less of a chance of complications. Still, nothing says they shan't reform in the future so the surgery might be "for nothing" (if one considers months of reprieve from being internally mugged by gallstones "nothing").

3) Ultrasound removal of the stones -- Not really surgery, since it apparently involves working the ultrasounder down through your tract until it reaches the duodenum, the attempting to shatter them like one often does with kidney stones. Anecdotal commentary about it seems to point towards gall stones not really being very "shatter prone" (at least, not as much as kidney stones) so it might leave one with a lot of little stones instead of a few big stones, so it might not really fix things. As with No.2, they can also possibly return. Alas, I don't have a lot of information on this theoretical option.

4) Chemical dissolution of the stones -- I don't have a lot of information about this option, either. If it exists, it's the least invasive of the methods (and easiest, since it just requires the cost of the dosage and the skill of being able to swallow. No surgery cost/skill required), but also the one that's the most likely to have you suffer a gallstone attack while mid-treatment. I believe this method may actually exist, due to the "naturalistic cures" involving trying to dissolve the stones through malic acid (gained by going on an apple binge), but I haven't been able to find any hints on how long it might take to dissolve a stone or stones of a given size or sizes.

Hopefully, I'll be able to return with more detailed and accurate of information after I've been hooked up with a GI specialist, myself.
If you have gallstones and no symptoms, you don't need surgery at this moment.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem