Gastroenterology Community

Gallbladder surgery question

Well I saw the surgeon and he recomended removing my gallbladder as soon as I could due to the severity of my problems and the weight loss.  I lost almost 20 pounds in 3 weeks, great for me, but not good for the body.  When I expressed concern over the different stories I hear about how people react after having the gallbladder removed, he said the ones that tend to have problems usually have something else wrong with them as well.  He had also said that there is a guideline of foods to follow for around the first 6 months.  Introducing new foods every few weeks.  A list of suggested foods will be given upon discharge from surgery.  Not following this can continue to screw up your body or give you undesired results in the first few months.
My question is this, how accurate does this sound to you all?  I have heard nothing but great things about this surgeon, so I don't doubt his recommendations.  But I also know that not everything a doctor says is totally true.  What do you think?

Thank you,

Amy
I can only comment on his suggestions about food. In general, your body is going to have a change in the way it can process fats after GB surgery. So if he's suggesting that you go very low fat after the surgery tnen very slowly add back some fats over time, it's reasonable.

You also need to keep in mind that when you come to a board you do so because you're having a problem. So the stories you read on the boards are scary - but they're there because people are seeking help. You don't hear the good side of things because those people aren't on the boards. They're off enjoying their lives.
There is an 85% you will have relief of symptoms if you have biliary dyskinesis. I'm having the same struggle.

Amy
I there with you having the same struggle.  What are your symptoms?
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem