Gastroenterology Community

Gurgling noise in throat and other symptoms

Hey everyone. I've got the answer to this after years and years of suffering, and finally have a remedy.

My symptoms:
- gurgling in the throat to an embarrassing degree, and it's been getting worse over the years. Certain foods irritate the symptoms and the noises get worse when I'm stressed or feeling really self-conscience.
- acid reflux
- unable to burp
- fatigue
- bad memory
- unable to concentrate very well
- lack of motivation
- bad breath
- muscles are weaker
- snoring a bit
- dry skin
- bacterial vaginosis
- history of helicobacterpylori and stomach ulcer

The reason for all of this: CANDIDA and food intolerance (although the sphincter obviously plays a role).

As soon as I cut gluten and lactose from my diet, the gurgling completely stopped, literally on the same day. If I eat these now, the gurgling starts again straight away.

An intolerance is when your body can't digest certain foods. The presence of candida (yeast overgrowth) certainly doesn't make things easier. The food ferments in the gut, causing acid reflex and all our horrible symptoms. To make things worse, the digestive system is under so much strain when you're eating the wrong stuff that it means you don't get a good night's rest. This causes bad memory, fatigue, loss of concentration, snoring, muscle weakness because your body can't regenerate properly etc etc.

I'm now attempting the candida diet, which is really really hard work because you have to cut out sugar, lactose, gluten, most fruit, a lot of vegetables  (especially mushrooms which are just fungus), vinegars and fermented food, nuts (as they may contain mould), oil etc. The only thing you can really eat is green veg, meat, eggs. You also need to have probiotics, and anti-fungals like fresh garlic, fresh ginger, pau d'arco tea, unfiltered and unpasteurised apple cider vinegar, coconut oil, lots of water. Oh yeah, and prepare for the candida die-off which is when the yeast dies and lets off toxins - makes you feel sick, but that's when you know it's working. The diet is basically a detox, and you can start reintroducing food after a while when the yeast overgrowth dies down. It's really important to have probiotics. Also you need to avoid antibiotics if at all possible, because this kills both good and bad bacteria which doesn't help you in the long run. Today I made a soup with kale, leeks, garlic, ginger and onions. Beautiful. Put a bit too much pepper in though, which has given me a bit of gurgling (normal pepper is a no no on the candida diet as it contains mould).

Candida is very commonly misdiagnosed, and is something that can be present in the mouth (white coat on tongue) in the throat or stomach. Doctors tend to treat the symptoms rather than the cause, and often end up putting you on antibiotics which makes your symptoms worse! You can do a home test to see if you have candida by spitting in a glass of water. Look it up on the internet and it will tell you what you're looking for.

I'm just at the beginning of my candida journey, but am so happy to know how to make the gurgling stop. The snoring also stopped immediately (I'm 27), which shows me that certain foods can be the cause of snoring. I'm waiting for memory and concentration to improve, and hoping to see the back of bacterial vaginosis. You can also add a cup of apple cider vinegar (must be unfiltered and contain 'the mother') to a bath which acts as an anti-inflammatory and can help with things like arthritis. It is also meant to help with bacterial vaginosis and dry skin. I've only just started so hoping to see results.

What it comes down to is cut out all the rubbish processes foods from your diet, eat the right stuff which clears yeast overgrowth and your quality of life will start improving. I'm not a medical professional, so make sure you look everything up properly before starting.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem