Gastroenterology Community

Help!

Sometimes I have trouble keeping my food down..this happens so randomly..it could happen 3 days in a row or i would go months without incident and suddenly here we go..anyway I feel the food get stuck ..I try to either wait till it passes thru or try to drink something to help it pass thru quicker..if I drink something it either helps or makes it worse..when it gets worse I choke and vomit...after i vomit i try to eat once again..sometimes im fine and other times i continue to experience the food getting stuck in my esophagus and more vomiting..this is very uncomfortable and at times a bit painful..  years ago I went to the doctor and told him my symptoms..without running any tests on me he just said it was acid reflux..I got some pills, took them, and they didn't work..all this started when I was 16..I am now 28..this has affected my life entirely..I don't like to eat in public or with people because I'm afraid I might experience this in front of them and they might think I'm bulimic..I am fed up with doing this and feeling this way..there is no way this is acid reflux..it has to be something else..its affecting my weight i think..I have a athletic type of figure and I've been trying to gain some weight on my legs..i tried ensure but it didnt help..ive been in the same weight range for years.I almost forgot but I also can't swallow pills..big or small..doesnt matter..they almost always get stuck and I vomit them up..I have to crush them in order to take them..i thought it could have been esophageal cancer until I saw the age range for that.I can't go to the doctors cuz I don't have insurance at the moment..please I'm begging you help me..
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed  clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possible causes that may need to be considered include stress/ anxiety, mild GI infections, inflammations, GI motility issues, hormonal/ endocrine causes, medication side effect, connective tissue disorders, growths/ masses, micronutrient deficiencies, metabolic/ electrolyte issue etc. Without a definite diagnosis at hand it would be difficult to suggest a management plan. I would suggest getting this evaluated by a primary care physician or a gastroenterologist for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem