Hernia under left ribs?

I have upper left quadrant pain.

To be more specific, I've been having mild pain in one of my lower-most ribs on the left side for over a month now.
One rib feels especially sore to touch. Massaging that rib makes the pain go away. Sometimes the entire region feels sore to the touch. It is slightly painful to lie down on the left side.

Immediately below the left ribs, if you press the abdomen, you can feel something popping or crackling, and there is some movement inside (its not so if you press the corresponding right side of the abdomen). It's not painful if you press this area underneath the ribcage. But the rib itself is sore and slightly painful to press. Sometimes when I bend over I feel some movement in there, like some fiber is moving.

I had a doctor palpate my abdomen and she could not find anything. She thought it was a sore muscle or something. But I'm concerned about the movement beneath the left-side ribcage.

I was wondering if these are the signs of a hernia just underneath the ribcage, on the left side?
I have been suffering from this same ailment under my left ribcage for about 10 years.....For a time it lasted almost 3 years.  I was tested, ex-rayed, had physio...pain medication  and so on, nothing helped.  It has now returned and it has been bothering me now for 3 months.  I know it is not life threatening or I would not be here now.  Anyway, I did hear about COSTOCHONDRITIS and had written it down...however, I misplaced it, so I thought I would go to the internet to see what I could find out about the affliction.  The first time that it appeared was after golfing.  I thought that perhaps the injury started there.  Another incident was when I pulled my aging mother out of her tub which intensified the pain and discomfort.  I do not know what I did this time, however I do believe that stress may play a part in it as well.  It seems that whenever I feel under stress, I will alway feel it where I am most vulnerable, under my left rib cage.  Another thing I have noticed....is that if I put on weight it seems to bother me more.  So I am in the process of getting my weight back down.  Although, I am not overly heavy, those 10 pounds make a difference.  Hope this information will help someone.  YOU ARE NOT ALONE. sfhiggins
I have the same/similar symptoms and I am wondering if you ever found out what was causing your symptoms.
I have this also... have had it for 10 yrs or so.. it can be very uncomfortable having this pain under the ribs and around the back ..I have had mine feel like it pops out of place.. i push it where it hurts and it does relieve the pain some.. but I too would like to know what this is.. I have been to the Dr. had all kinds of tests.. nothing.
30, male..

I have exactly the same case.. though i have a big stomach which i believe is the probable cause.. plus now that "sfhiggins" mention about it as stress related.. i am more convinced that it is my unhealthy life style that started all this.. so i will try to do some exercise and focus on losing some weight. I will also try to keep you all informed about my progress.      
Hey guys, I have the exact same thing, we're such rejects eh? Haha, anyways, mine even protrudes out so i can see it, but only if im laying on my back. Ive had mine about 6 months and im waiting for an x-ray appointment to come through, if anyone wants me to let them know how I get on so it might give you an idea. My emails ***@****
today while I was working out, I felt this pop under my left rigcage,  this had never happened before.  The pain kind of took my breath away.  So I stopped working out the pain went away rather fast.  but there is still kind of a nagging side pain?  Not real painful, just like its sore.  I was then stretching my right arm to get a dish from the cabinet when the left side popped again.  I let out a scream as it was very painful.  After reading all these post, im not sure anyone has actually been diagnosed correctly.  Please keep me informed.

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem