Hernia under left ribs?

I have upper left quadrant pain.

To be more specific, I've been having mild pain in one of my lower-most ribs on the left side for over a month now.
One rib feels especially sore to touch. Massaging that rib makes the pain go away. Sometimes the entire region feels sore to the touch. It is slightly painful to lie down on the left side.

Immediately below the left ribs, if you press the abdomen, you can feel something popping or crackling, and there is some movement inside (its not so if you press the corresponding right side of the abdomen). It's not painful if you press this area underneath the ribcage. But the rib itself is sore and slightly painful to press. Sometimes when I bend over I feel some movement in there, like some fiber is moving.

I had a doctor palpate my abdomen and she could not find anything. She thought it was a sore muscle or something. But I'm concerned about the movement beneath the left-side ribcage.

I was wondering if these are the signs of a hernia just underneath the ribcage, on the left side?
I am 31 and I have the same thing.  It seems to bother me the most when I lean forward or sit in a slouched position.  But it is only the left side and there is that little popping that everyone mentioned.

And yeah, it is on the left.
I'm pretty sure we all have hernias. I have the exact same symptoms as you guys. My pain is primarily at the lowest rib, front, left rib cage. I've had an epigastric hernia and it feels very similar. Weight loss will be the easiest way to alleviate the symptoms, as it will reduce the internal pressure, but the hernia (tear in the fascia) will remain, and symptoms could certainly recur, unless we have surgery. If any of you has surgery to repair the hernia, I highly recommend a patch. if they just sew it up it will usually recur.
so we all appear to have this...any ideas what it is??? Mine isn't painfull just can feel it popping and kind of getting stuck on something it feels like under my left rib cage right at the bottom going in to my abdomen...????i've asked the doctor and was told oh its nothing, ask your physio next time your there'?  But whats frustrating is that it clearly is something and i just want to rule out anything more sinister than a hernia,,...
just found this somewhere on here....this answers my questiuon i think...thought would share...

Slipping rib syndrome is a condition that is often misdiagnosed or undiagnosed and can subsequently lead to months or years of unresolved abdominal and/or thoracic pain. Surgical findings suggest the condition arises from hypermobility of the anterior ends of the false rib costal cartilages, which often leads to slipping of the affected rib under the superior adjacent rib. This slippage or movement can lead to an irritation of the intercostal nerve, strain of the intercostal muscles, sprain of the lower costal cartilage, or general inflammation in the affected area.

The medical literature primarily refers to this condition as slipping rib syndrome. However, it has also been referred to as clicking rib, displaced ribs, interchondral subluxation, nerve nipping, painful rib syndrome, rib tip syndrome, slipping rib cartilage syndrome, traumatic intercostal neuritis,11 and 12th rib syndrome. Many cases have been described in the medical literature, but this condition is rarely mentioned in present-day medical textbooks and often is not clinically known by doctors.

The syndrome may be the result of trauma, but many cases have been reported in which no thoracic or abdominal trauma had occurred. Clinically, patients often note intermittent sharp stabbing pain followed by a dull achy sensation for hours or days. “Slipping” and “popping” sensations are common, and activities such as bending, coughing, deep breathing, lifting, reaching, rising from a chair, stretching, and turning in bed often exacerbate the symptoms.

The differential diagnosis of slipping rib syndrome includes a variety of medical conditions, such as cholecystitis (gall bladder inflammation), esophagitis, gastric ulcer, hepatosplenic abnormalities, stress fracture, inflammation of the chondral cartilage, and pleuritic chest pain. A quick way to rule out these conditions is to look for an association between certain movements or postures and pain intensity, determining if the patient has experienced recent trauma (although not always present), and reproduce the symptoms (eg, pain, clicking) with the hooking maneuver. The hooking maneuver is a relatively simple clinical test. The clinician places his or her fingers under the lower costal margin and pulls the hand in an anterior direction. Pain or clicking indicates a positive test. It is recommended that the hooking maneuver be followed with a rib block (injection) to see if the pain can be relieved. Radiologic imaging is generally not useful in the diagnosis of slipping rib syndrome but may be of value in ruling out other conditions in the differential diagnosis.

Once the diagnosis of slipping rib syndrome has been made, you have to realize that nothing is seriously wrong. Avoidance of movements or postures that exacerbate symptoms may be sufficient in eliciting a successful outcome. However, in patients with more severe pain and dysfunction, nerve blocks, prolotherapy and surgical intervention may be necessary. Conservative and surgical outcomes reported in the literature have generally been good. Yet these results should be viewed with some caution, as clinicians may not be as forthcoming in reporting failed case reports and case series.

Bottom line:  rest and restrict activity that makes the pain worse.  If you cannot do this, prolotherapy or nerve block injections may offer immediate help and resolve the issue.  Surgical resolution is the last option by may be indicated if no appreciable improvement is noted.  Hope this helps.

Respectfully,
Dr. J. Shawn Leatherman
www.suncoasthealthcare.net
I think Dougers is correct.  I have been having this pain under my bottom left rib for the last 20 plus years.  I can actually recall the first "pop".  I was stretching out and down (behind a couch) to pull out a drawer, and out of the blue there was an audible pop that I felt in the exact same place I still get them now.  Under the left bottom rib.  If I push on the muscle with sustained (a few seconds) pressure, it will usually pop.  If I am reaching for something sometimes I will get a pop.

A side note, I also believe I have a sensitivity to Gluten.  I am starting to look to see if they are connected/related.?.?.?
Really glad to see this forum.  I am a 31 year old female and have had this "popping" issue under my left rib cage for about a year now.  Its only slightly tender, but when I push around and probe to get this popping, its more sore the next day.  Months ago I went to my doctor.. I couldn't get it to pop for her of course but she ordered an ultra sound and blood tests to keep me satisfied.  It turned up nothing, which only means my organs are OK but what if there is something else there?  It is certainly annoying, but not unmanageable.  It's most upsetting because I don't know what it is!  Going to mention it to the doc again next month when I go.  Anyone ever figure this out??
Hi there hope you are well, have you gotten any answers?

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem