Hernia under left ribs?

I have upper left quadrant pain.

To be more specific, I've been having mild pain in one of my lower-most ribs on the left side for over a month now.
One rib feels especially sore to touch. Massaging that rib makes the pain go away. Sometimes the entire region feels sore to the touch. It is slightly painful to lie down on the left side.

Immediately below the left ribs, if you press the abdomen, you can feel something popping or crackling, and there is some movement inside (its not so if you press the corresponding right side of the abdomen). It's not painful if you press this area underneath the ribcage. But the rib itself is sore and slightly painful to press. Sometimes when I bend over I feel some movement in there, like some fiber is moving.

I had a doctor palpate my abdomen and she could not find anything. She thought it was a sore muscle or something. But I'm concerned about the movement beneath the left-side ribcage.

I was wondering if these are the signs of a hernia just underneath the ribcage, on the left side?
Hi. I was looking up hernia under left rib and this is what I found. You guys with the exact same symptoms.
Mine came about after my twins were born which makes me think of a "trauma experience", pressure on my rib cage.
I would like to share my experience. Its not painful in everyday activities although I am aware it being there. My only painful experience I had was the pain under my left rib cage was worse was getting into the bath, and leaning to the left to sit down. My god I thought I was never going to straighten back up!. I was so scared I was going to trap this thing. I have no idea what it is. But when I lie flat I can put my finger on it and feel it like a ball, which makes me think of hernia.
I have had this 3 years now but never visited a doctor, didnt seem necessary really. I know what I can and cannot do with activities and everyday tasks but it would be nice to know what it really is.
I've had a "protuding rib" is what my dr calls it since my accident over 2 yrs ago. I get a on n off buring sensation in the area that I have the lump. Left side right under my ribs. If I lean forward I feel the lump behind too more towards my back.I often get soreness there like I worked out my abs extremly. I had er visits. Xrays. St scans. Ultra sounds n they said nothing seems abnormal. When I strech to the right my left side feels tight like streching a rubber band. If I lay on my stomach I literally feel a buldge pressing onto whatever I'm laying on. Every dr I go to wastes my time. I'm lost! ~ ***@****
I think I'm the odd one out here.... I have those symptoms on the right. Would it mean anything, my being left handed? The pop comes out from under the lower right rib. I'm slightly overweight. I can't wear undersides bras anymore because the wire hurts me too much. The lump that pops out is the size of a golf ball. The rib its near is very tender to touch. First I was told it was a fatty lump, now I'll be having an ultrasound in 3 weeks cos they think it's a hernia. Oh, and I feel my ribcage squish when I lie on my right side and it makes me feel suffocated...
It is a hernia.More common in women who have had children.What is comming through is your lung.It hasn't happened to me in a while,but bending over to pull socks on,or bending over in the tub to wash my hair is usually when it would occurs.My husband's cousin is an OBGYN,and he told me what it was.It is a sharp pain or tightness when it happens,and there is a small buldge between two ribs on my upper left side.Sitting up straight and exhaling makes it go away.Nothing is usually done for this type of hernia.
I have this too, I thought it was a hernia, as when I bend down and cough at the same time, or strain when bending down, something seems to pop out, which takes my breath away, and its like I'm stuck in this position, then after a minute or so I can actually feel it 'pop' back in and its fine again!
Has anyone found anything out yet?
Laura x

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem