Gastroenterology Community

Hiccup type burp...or belch..messed up burps...

For 5 years i have been suffering with what i can only call a hiccup/belch. Every time i finish food or even when i have an empty stomach i get this hiccup/burp. It sounds like a hiccup but then gas is expelled from my stomach thus giving a belching noice.
It feels really uncomfortable and when im in public i get funny looks as it sounds very strange.

I had an upper GI endoscopy which revealed a very small hiatus hernia, and also my duodeum was scared from ulcers id had in the past.
Also, about 8 years ago i tested positive for Helicobactorpylori. I didnt finish the course of medication (Heli-clear...side effects were very bad)
I was warned that the bug could return if i didnt complete the treatment.

Im not sure what this problem is!!!

i suppose it could be.....

Hietus hernia .....Do you get hiccup/belching from this ???

Helicobacrpylori  Do you get (as above ^^)???

Scaring of duodeum.. ???

Stress ???

I hope you can help.....someone out there must have similar symtoms...?? or is it just me???

Thanks ...PAul
I have the same hiccup/burp thing - for 6 years. Mine doesn't just happen when I eat, it happens throughout the day - every day. I average about 30 or 40 times a day. It's very loud - and yes, I get looks too. So far doctors can't tell my what causes it, they just say hiccups are caused by a muscle spasm in the diaphram - but these aren't regular hiccps so I dont understand. It's just one giant screech followed by a burp. The only thing I have tried is baclofen (muscle relaxer) which did not help. I've had a endoscopy and a ct scan and I was told I had gastritus.
I am having the problem as we speak, and it's around 3:06 in the morning.  Here is the small description of my health history:

- Ages 5-17 - experienced a lot of pain on my gallbladder after eating fatty foods.  I quickly learned that coke would help if taken during the meal, strange since coke is very acidic.  The pains stopped at the age of seventeen, eventhough my parents never took me to the Dr for it.  I did nothing to stop it; it stopped all by itself. Also very important to note, after 17 I noticed I couldn't take any more milk because I would give me too much gas.  So I stopped drinking it all together and joined the lactose intolerance community.

- At 21 I started experiencing Acid Reflux.  The Dr discovered I had h-pylori and put me on antibiotics.  As mentioned earlier I never quite finished with the treatment.

- At 29 I went to bed and all of the sudden the following combo of symptoms begin: hiccup, burping, farting.  I looked at my stomach and I was bloatted.  I couldn't get rid of the hiccups for 3 days, so I went to the Dr, and he said that it was simply because I ate too much fatty or spicy foods right before going to bed. He asked me to take one tablet of Zantac 150 before bed along with 4 teaspons of milanta.  Two days into the treatment my problem got better and then finally my hiccups went away.  Hiccups as he explained to me, are caused by irratability of the diaphragm, which makes it spasm.  This treatment calmed the irritability.  After the consultation I went back for a followup, and with all fear I put everything on the table.  I told him about my gallbladder issues when I was a child.  I asked him to allow me to take an exam to see if my gallbladder was okay.  He did and ultrasound and found polyps and sludge.  Then I took another exam, which I can't remember the name of the procedure, but they basically put a die intravenously which measured how much gallbladder contracted.  The Dr and surgeons have mentioned to me that I need to remove my gallbladder sometime this year.  I still haven't done it, but I will be doing that pretty soon.

Foods that worsened my problem:
- Drinking 2 cups of coffee everyday of the week.(it has lactose, and coffee which is acidic)
- Mild or very Hot spicy foods.
- Fatty foods.
- Any foods with a lot of lactose, which cause bloattedness.
- Red Wine(also very acidic).

Staying away from this foods, specially coffee has made me feel better all together.  Because it was the fourth of July weekend I felt compelled to test my system with wine and italian foods, and now I am reaping the consecuences of my silly actions.  I will take my gallbladder out sometime soon, hopefully this will help the problem.  Best of luck to you.  I am going to bed now since the hick up has stopped.
I have been having these hiccup/burps for the last two years, everyday, multiple times a day. They randomly come, nothing leads them on and nothing gets rid of them. Although a few males find it "cute", I find it rather annoying. I'm 20 years old, no health complications that I'm aware of...I'm not sure what in the world these things are, though! Today they have been worse than any other day which is why I'm looking up information to try to find a cure or cause. If anyone figures it out, PLEASE let me know!
I too have that annoying hiccup, following by a burp which relieves the feeling of pressure in my upper abdomen. I have changed my entire diet by eliminating chocolate, coffee, red meat, wheat and dairy. My dr. gave me prescription Zantac which helps a great deal, but I am still having this problem at least 10 times a day. The next step will probably be an upper GI series or endoscopy if this doesn't improve within the next couple of weeks. I have already had an H Pylori blood test to rule out an ulcer, an ultrasound and an MRI which were unremarkable.  I am getting very tired of this!
     I have this hiccup/burp thing! It's so comforting to know that there are other people out there with my problem too! I also have uncontrollable hiccups and burps. Ratio of about 3:1 for burps and hiccups. It is getting very frustrating. I have very bad acid reflux and simply by laying down flat at night the acid has gone into my voice-box and has damaged my voice.
     My "donkey brays" as I call them, are extremely loud, loud enough for the whole class to turn around, since I am only 16.
I've had a few outbursts of hiccups that barely allow me to speak reasonably. And I am a singer, so it concerns me, because it can happen when I sing. I've had it for maybe a year and a half! Cheers to those who have had it for 5 years, if it were me I'd have died by then haha.
     The most in a day for me is 44, but I was on 20MG of Omerprazole that brought it down a bit to about 25 a day. They can be painful. I have a lot of excess gas, and my stomach is so loud that people around me turn around, and I can feel it all the way up my esophagus. And the bad days if I don't take medication, I can feel the acid hurting my stomach. It's awful, because if I bray, it feels like it is bringing up hot steam into my throat.
     I am going to the doctor tomorrow to be referred to a specialist, and am probably going to have a endoscopy. I'm getting so tired of it!
     Fruits with a lot of acid such as strawberries give me massive hiccups, but it happens constantly. But so far, no night-time hiccups.

I'm only 16! I shouldn't have to deal with this! :(
     If anyone has more info, or perhaps a success story, please share!!!

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem