Gastroenterology Community

How long for omeprazole 20mg (gastro-resistant capsule) to start working

I have been prescribed OMEPRAZOLE 20 mg capsule for my gastro problem, i.e keep burping and discomfort in sternum and around side and back, also constant bloating. I am on my third day and the burping is slowly disappearing and also the discomfort in my sternum has gone.  I am so so so so happy.

But I was wonderig how long for it to work completely as I am only on my third day and have been told to take the whole 28 days worth.  I would appreciate any advice.  Many thanks

Every human body reacts differently to medication. I have tried prilosec (omeprazole) but to me it is very slow. Usually you will see max results by the end of the month. I personnally like prevacid and nexium (30mg) . They are fast and help repair any erosion in the esophagus. They are the same as prilosec but are more expensive and are sold with prescription only but they are worth it. They too have to be taken for 15 -28 days. Just be patient and remember that nervousness , anxiety and stress increase gastro problems. I'm like that and the doc gave me Mutabon D which helps calm  down your anxiety etc.
Thanks so much.  I will last out the 28 days and then see what happens then.  Is bloatedness a sympton too, its right under my breasts sometimes but always in the sternum area.  My stomach is very soft.  Since takin Omeprazole the burping has eased quite a bit and also the discomfort in my sternum has eased, still there but not as uncomfortable, its only day 6 of taking the tablets so maybe i am expecting too much too soon. .  Its just this damn bloating.  Never knew bloating could get you down so much.  I have had this since May.  You are also right about the anxiety and stress.  I have alot of anxieties in my life and my mum said i was a born worrier so maybe that does not help. write back soon.  xxx
Hi!
How did you get on with this? I have some but am reluctant to take it for fear that it will make my IBD worse. I took ranitidine before and was so ill that I nearly had to go back on steroids. My bowel is better but I am determined not to take any more pills that will upset my insides. However, I can't tolerate this indigestion every day either.
I have just been prescribed omeprazole for my occasional problem - a severe pain behind the breastbone - like a knife being twisted.  It's not associated, when it happens, with the usual indigestion symptoms, although I do get a lot od indegestion. Don't know the cause (although stress is definitely a factor) and nothing I've tried yet stops the pain when an attack occurs. The attacks usually last for hours until I've woken up the next day.  Does the treatment actually do anything for the pain when an attack occurs or is it only effective in the long term? - was prescribed ranitidine before but it was completely ineffective.
Would appreciate any comments.  
hi all, i have recently been perscribed omeprazole capsules too as i have been in alot of discomfort and as im sure you are too, im getting abit impatient, i was wondering do any of you know of any foods that i could try eating or cutting out that could ease my discomfort and bloatedness in the meantime?? any suggestions wuld be greatly appreciated.

oh and penred i am afraid the capsules are for a more long term cure but i do hope you can find a more imediate relief, when you do, please let us know!
I've used 20 mg Prilosec on a daily basis for 4 or 5 years. If I forget to take a pill I may feel the affects the next day. If I take a pill as soon as I sense the acid then it subsides with in an hour or two. I just found out today that generic omeprazole is available so I am happy.

good luck
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem