Gastroenterology Community

I can't figure out why I smell

Hi, I'm a high school girl and I noticed from the start of this year that people start to cover their noses when they sit next to me.  School started a few weeks ago, and it's gotten worse.  Even my teachers do the same action and it makes me self conscious.  I have pretty good hygiene, but I don't know why I smell. I can't smell it, but I know there is a smell as my friend has pointed out an odd smell when she sat next to me.  I notice that this smell only happens when I sit down, but my parents can't smell it for some reason.  please help me find the source of this odor! I think it may be because I worry about it smelling, which causes it to smell, but obviously it's hard not to think about.
a) smell (thankfully) no matter how pungent or irritating, is one sense that our bodies adapt to rapidly and learn to completely ignore/forget it (which is probably why you and your parents think nothing of it since you and they are around you a lot)

b) sounds like it's past time to visit a doctor (or the school nurse?) to see if there's something obvious a medical professional can recognize

You've a friend handy who you can enlist to help you, so you could try the basics:  up your pretty good hygiene to very good, and put on fresh clothes (esp. underclothes) and see if that makes a difference to your friend.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem